• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why hasn't VGA been phased out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

I know DVI and HDMI are the same but HDMI can do sound too, but VGA is analog, and not digital... so why does my new 1080p ASUS monitor have all three?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to force a switch to DVI or HDMI?

Not a problem whatsoever, but just a question, after looking at what they did to analog TV...

Luckily not, or I would be forced to send equipment to landfill before their time.
Today's slogan is sustainability. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainability

Compatibility, say if you'd buy an expensive full HD monitor, would it not be good to know that it can be hooked up to almost any source.
E.g we now have two full HD monitors with HDMI only. These are thus only for dedicated HDMI use so it does limit the usability for these.

I suppose it would make sense for tech companies to care about the environment, although ironic considering they pay the -people- who live in it tiny amounts of money for building its products -_-

So they do make HDMI Only monitors? I have no problem with VGA, I was just putting on my philosipher hat.

That sounds like a pain in the arse. I just wondered why, is all. It seems to be one of the only remaining peices of computer technology that was invented in the 80s (1987) and is still used today... Old technology fascinates me =P

Back