• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU freq BOUNCING UP & DOWN??! From 3.6 -> 960 mhz!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLiRD808

Registered
1055t on a Biostar AT970XE mobo that I've been moderately overclocking. I actually have had it on stock settings though for about 24hrs, cuz I was having stability issues yesterday. But just now, I noticed in CPU-Z that my frequency has dropped from about 3.6 DOWN TO 960mhz!!!

Then I noticed that sometimes it jumps back to 3.6 for a couple secs, then back to 960mhz!

960mhz.jpg

HWm.jpg

As we speak it seems to be stuck back at 960mhz.

I've gone into my BIOS and everything seems normal and set up the way I normally have it.

Any ideas?

THANKS!!!!!:D

This is a power saving feature that lowers the processor's speed when it isn't needed. It is normal behavior.

I dont know if AMD call it the same thing but the term is known as "Stepping"

The CPU speed will increase on-demand.

Ok...thks!

How come this wasn't happening before though? Maybe I just didn't notice it? I gotta admit Im kinda new to OC'ing.

What sucks is that this Biostar BIOS doesnt have a function for turning off Cool n Quiet....or at least its not named such.

THANKS AGAIN!!

You should really sit down and check the manual mate.

I have just looked at the product page on the Biostar website, and it's probably slapped all over the box too.
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=574

G.P.U (Green Power Utility)
G.P.U (Green Power Utility)
BIOSTAR G.P.U (Green Power Utility) is a new function that enhances energy efficiency by disabling extra phases while CPU is under light loading. It integrates a friendly GUI to monitor the resourcing and response of your CPU thus optimizing the power saving function in your system. G.P.U. constantly sets up the best power efficiency in your system, be it for heavy 3D gaming, Internet or MSN chatting

Last edited by a moderator:
You should really sit down and check the manual mate.

I have just looked at the product page on the Biostar website, and it's probably slapped all over the box too.
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=574

Wow yeah I knew it had a feature like that, but I don't recall ever turning it on. If it was on by default it sure wasn't working before.

Whats even more strange....I just disabled the Green Power Utility and CPU-Z showed I was at the proper frequency (a 3.3 preset). However, my computer JUST froze up for about 6-7 seconds. Display was fine but couldn't control mouse or key in anything. Worried, I just checked back into CPU-Z and my freq is back DOWN to 960hz!!!

Is this mobo a mess? It's only about a week old from Microcenter. The bought 1055t used off ebay as a "new (other)".

Reset it back to defaults and set it up correctly.
Also, ask your self if you need to overclock your rig.

I do as i run VMachines, crunch numbers, serve media and other files.

Reset it back to defaults and set it up correctly.
Also, ask your self if you need to overclock your rig.

I do as i run VMachines, crunch numbers, serve media and other files.

Crazy...I have no idea what else might have changed. Upon startup my mhz would always be what I set it up as in the BIOS. Now it seems to adhere to the GPU system regardless of the fact that Ive turned it off. Just restarted, set BIOS to default, and turned off GPU again. But my mhz are back down again

I dont NEED to overclock, but I want to. I do audio production work with Pro Tools 10, Cubase 6.5, etc. Its all super CPU heavy, especially when working with convolution reverbs and editing/mixing with other effects operating in real-time.

I dont really like this mobo anyways, got my eyes on a Giga, and probably just gonna grab an FX-8150 BE so I can just OC with the multiplier....bcz yes, I know this stuff is highly technical and requires time/reading/learning/practicing, etc.

Thanks again though....

Upon start up the speed is needed.
Once the operating system has finished loading your programs are open then there is no need to have the CPU @ full whack.

In the same way as:-
If you are lifting a heavy box onto a shelf it's nice to have 3 people helping you.
But once it's on the shelf the 3 people can go have a rest.

IMO it also helps with the longevity of the CPU.

Go into your power management in windows, it can designate a different minimum. The default is pretty low, that is what will throttle it down. If you disable cool'n'quiet that will default override the cores to 100%. I personally keep it controlled by power management with a higher minimum and keep coolnquiet on.

Some motherboards will disable cool-n-quiet if you touch the cpuNB speed. The board in my sig had this behavior until i finally updated to the latest beta bios for it.

If you will go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance it should disable Cool N Quiet and some other green technology as well. Also, in bios turn off Turbo and C1E if they are visible after setting the Power Option to High Performance.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone....High Performance is selected already, seems to not be doing the trick :(

C1E is turned off and after doing some research, I found out that "PowerNow" is Biostar's parameter for controlling Cool n Quiet. I'm pretty sure I have that disabled too but I'll double check.

Do you have the latest bios installed? It's beginning to sound like a board problem or a bios issue.

Theres actually a new BIOS version I found on the Biostar site.

But per their words, if I have a version with the "Bio-unlocKING" feature, I dont need the newest version, and shouldn't run the risk of improperly flashing the BIOS. I do have the "unlocKING" feature.

Is that just a noob warning?

Unfortunately I cant even find the page right now. Biostar has the absolute worst website...and even some of the apps that were on the cd with the mobo dont even work, including BIOS Updater. I'll find the dl page with the warning again...it'll just take awhile

http://www.biostar-usa.com/downloadmain.asp

...see a list of AM3/AM3+ boards on there? I dont.

Back