• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's wrong with this picture?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Can anyone tell me why the FX-8120 at 3.6GHZ is under proforming compared to the 2 1090T's at 3.2GHZ and the FX-8150 at 3.6GHZ for the same WU?

HFM-bench1.jpg

HFM-bench2.jpg

Systems running F@H:
GA-880GA-UD3H Rev 2.1, Phenom II 1090T 3.2GHZ, 8GB ram, red
GA-880GA-UD3H Rev 3.1, Phenom II 1090T 3.2GHZ, 4GB ram, green
Sabertooth 990FX Rev 1, FX-8120 3.6GHZ, 16GB ram, blue
GA-990FXA-UD5 Rev 1, FX-8150 3.6GHZ, 8GB ram, orange

Anyone need a Sabertooth 990FX MB for a door stop? :rofl:

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised that the Zambezi processor can hold their own whatsoever against the older Phenom x6's while folding. I finally gave up on AMD after the release of Zambezi. Furthermore, it seems AMD doesn't care about the pc enthusiasts because during the most recent conference call they said that they were basically abandoning the PC processors segment altogether and moving toward lower powered devices.

I was having the exact same problem with my FX8150 and have tried several different things to get better folding results. My 1100T which is folding in W7 at stock clocks was outperforming my FX8150 ocd to 4Ghz when folding in W7. I am currently running the FX8150 in ubuntu linux 12.04 with the latest FAH7 client and the results are amazing. I have seen between 22Kppd and on at least one of the Wu's it was over 60Kppd. I don't have the history to show you because I cannot get HFM set up in ubuntu 12.04. I am trying to do that now. If anyone knows how to do that I could use some help.

For some reason the FX processors (from my experience) fold much better in linux than in Windows. Not sure why. If you can, switch your FX machines over to linux and give it a try. I am extremely pleased with the production increase I have seen so far.

I forgot to tell you I tried running ubuntu in a virtual machine and was getting the same if not worse results. It appears you have to be loaded into a full fledged linux machine. Luckily I had an extra hd and install ubuntu on that and now am dual booting with windows.

Last edited:
Screenshot for WU 7018 getting 57K ppd.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2012-11-12 06:19:11.png
    Screenshot from 2012-11-12 06:19:11.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 103
No, but I am running ubuntu in VMWare player in Win 7 with the 6.34 client, and it earns more points than when I use v7 in Windows 7, natively.

Are you folding with GPU's, as well as CPU?

I haven't tried v7 in Linux yet. Is it really stable?

I was working A4 on V7 before they started the 10% bonus and you do get 10% above what V7 shows.

hmm. . .Anyone running v7 Linux under VMware Player that is observing similar gains over v7 Windows?

I tried the vmware ubuntu guest in W7 with v7 and i did not experience any different performance over just straight v7 in W7. There is something about the way linux handles scheduling that allows the FX processors to run faster/smoother? than in W7. That is why I switched to a full ubuntu install with v7.

No, but I am running ubuntu in VMWare player in Win 7 with the 6.34 client, and it earns more points than when I use v7 in Windows 7, natively.

Are you folding with GPU's, as well as CPU?

I haven't tried v7 in Linux yet. Is it really stable?

I haven't experienced any problems at all with v7 in linux as of yet. I have only been running it for about 4 days now.

The only downside is you can't fold with gpu's in linux yet. There is a way but I have not been successful at getting it set up. I am still working on it.

With the imminent changes in the points structure as it applies to gpus, I really, really wished that Pande Group would accept the help of a capable programmer(s) to add native GPU folding to Linux making it quick and painless to bring those gpu boards we might having lying in the bottom of the desk drawer into the folding effort.

With the imminent changes in the points structure as it applies to gpus, I really, really wished that Pande Group would accept the help of a capable programmer(s) to add native GPU folding to Linux making it quick and painless to bring those gpu boards we might having lying in the bottom of the desk drawer into the folding effort.

Its not a client problem, i suspect it has more to do with the cores and the drivers, they do have a linux core in closed internal testing but no mention of a release

Back