• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WRT350n came bricked on arrival?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

i bought it for 45.80 as it was listed as "good-used" on amazon.

when i plugged it in, the power light would be blinking; followed by the internet light staying lit when i plugged an ethernet cable in any of the ethernet ports on teh back.

i tried pinging it but i got "destination host unreachable"

will i have to jtag at this point?

EDIT: yes i read the peacock thread, my ip is 192.168.1.50 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and it still gives me the destination host unreachable

Last edited:
When you say you tried to ping it, are you talking about after it is on? To test if it will take a tftp flash, you need to run a continuous ping (no options in Linux, or -t in Windows), then power it on while this ping is running. Keep a second prompt open with the tftp command to push firmware ready, and if you see a ping response, immediately start the tftp. You might have to try it several times, but if there's ever a ping response, then there's no need to open it up, just keep trying tftp.

If it is really bricked requiring JTAG, I'm sure PayPal will be glad to recover your money. If you can get it running, though, it's a great and stable router. Have had one at home for a few years now, and the only times it has gone down are power outages and a few times when the utterly stupid ISP (AT&T) decides to change random connection settings on their end to try and get us to participate in the rent-a-modem-and-router-from-the-ISP-and-pay-for-an-ISP-tech-to-do-everything racket.

Last edited:
When you say you tried to ping it, are you talking about after it is on? To test if it will take a tftp flash, you need to run a continuous ping (no options in Linux, or -t in Windows), then power it on while this ping is running. Keep a second prompt open with the tftp command to push firmware ready, and if you see a ping response, immediately start the tftp. You might have to try it several times, but if there's ever a ping response, then there's no need to open it up, just keep trying tftp.

If it is really bricked requiring JTAG, I'm sure PayPal will be glad to recover your money. If you can get it running, though, it's a great and stable router. Have had one at home for a few years now, and the only times it has gone down are power outages and a few times when the utterly stupid ISP (AT&T) decides to change random connection settings on their end to try and get us to participate in the rent-a-modem-and-router-from-the-ISP-and-pay-for-an-ISP-tech-to-do-everything racket.

i do have the jtag cable. also, i just ordered some more jtag pins. i guess you cant soldering used pins on a board.

and yes i am ping it with the router ON. :D

but i will try to run ping -t when turning it on though. see if that helps.

i do have the jtag cable. also, i just ordered some more jtag pins. i guess you cant soldering used pins on a board.

and yes i am ping it with the router ON. :D

but i will try to run ping -t when turning it on though. see if that helps.

The bootloader includes a tftp listener, so if the firmware is bad, it can be recovered through the bootloader. There's only a very small time window to do it, though, hence needing to be running continuous pings while it is booting, and hitting the tftp immediately if it responds. Also, if it does work, tftp can take a LONG time, so don't be worried if it takes 10 minutes to do it.

The bootloader includes a tftp listener, so if the firmware is bad, it can be recovered through the bootloader. There's only a very small time window to do it, though, hence needing to be running continuous pings while it is booting, and hitting the tftp immediately if it responds. Also, if it does work, tftp can take a LONG time, so don't be worried if it takes 10 minutes to do it.

its not responding to router. no matter what my timing is set to. not even tftp is working.

EDIT: the poewr light is still blinking and the internet light just stays lit when i plug a ethernet cable in. all im getting is request time outs.

Last edited:
Good luck with the JTAG, then. That's even slower than tftp :) Of course, if the Flash chip itself is fried, you might as well demand a refund.

screw the wrt350n im sending it back. i am not going to go through any hassle of tryign to repair a router if it randomly came bricked on arrival.

will the wrt610n with dd-wrt work just fine? im going to be using the latest version of dd-wrt to avoid any bugs or glitches i encounter.

Back