• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error while overclocking GT540M(BSOD)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pedroyan

I must admitt, I'm new to oveclocking, and I don't know much. If any of you could help me I would be glad.

Here's my problem:
I tried overclocking my graphic card (GPU clock: 800 Mhz/Memory clock:1010Mhz). When I applied the changes, the temperature of the GPU raised from 41 to 61. The problem started when I ran the 3DMark06 test: each time I started the benchmarking my screen crashed to the BSOD.

Message shown:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then Select Safe Mode.
Technical information;
*** STOP: 0x00000116 (0x99024008, 0x920cc150, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)
*** nvlddmkm.sys - Address 920cc150 base at 92012000, DateStamp 4a5ce288
Collecting data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump..."

My system information:
Overclocking software:EVGA Precision
Operational System:Windows 7 x64 SP1
Processor:Intel Core i7
GPU:GT540M (4080gb)
RAM:8GB

Notes:
Nvidia drivers ARE up to date
I already downloaded the newest INFO files from 3Dmark
I AM paying attention to the GPU and CPU temperatures.
Benchmarks runs fine without overclocking
I already tried Nvidia Sytem Tools. Same problem.

Aren't the stock speeds of the card 672 core and 900 memory? If so, you are making far too large of a jump and the card simply can't run that fast. I would suggest doing 25 MHz steps to find your max overclock, then backing off slightly when you hit instability.

Randomly throwing values at the laptop is going to invite problems like this.

Aren't the stock speeds of the card 672 core and 900 memory? If so, you are making far too large of a jump and the card simply can't run that fast. I would suggest doing 25 MHz steps to find your max overclock, then backing off slightly when you hit instability.

Randomly throwing values at the laptop is going to invite problems like this.
Stock speed is the default one?

Back