• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hibernate ? Do you use ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

Anybody use this option ?

I noticed that when I fire my laptop back up from a hibernate anything that has to do with video skips and lags .. when I restart it cleans the problem.

anybody know what gives ?

I dont bother with it.

My laptop is either on or off.
There is no in-between :)

most of the time mine does the same .. but there are a few times I get in a scramble and must close the laptop and go without being able to have all the time and save/close everything properly

Sleep = Ram
Hibernate = HDD

I use sleep, as hibernate takes longer and tends to use up some HDD space even after you turn your computer on.

Maximum battery life is extremely important to me. I find myself with no outlet at times, and time frames vary to when I can resume my work.

It would be nice to know though how much my battery drains after 4-6 hours in sleep though. I will have to check into that just to have an idea.

any extra risk you can think of having computer in sleep as opposed to hibernate ?

say maybe zipped up in a laptop bag with possible bumps or bangs ?

probably not .. but who knows

Bangs and bumps wont make any difference. It does drain the battery, but not much (at least on my computer). It is also less reliable than hibernation, but I've never had problems with it and I carry my laptop in a bag every day (for years). Give it a try, can't hurt.

Bangs and bumps wont make any difference. It does drain the battery, but not much (at least on my computer). It is also less reliable than hibernation, but I've never had problems with it and I carry my laptop in a bag every day (for years). Give it a try, can't hurt.

the bangs and bumps arent very likely for me either as I treasure my laptop like a child. But to be a bit more specific if a bump was large enough I was afraid I may lose information if it should cause a BOD or freeze etc..

I shall try this just to see on a non scramble day. Along with battery level test to see what im actually losing and if its significant amount.

I guess the most important thing to this test would be to see if it fixes the video lag problem upon resuming from sleep

havent got to try out the display yet but I did find out that 6 hours in sleep took 13% of my battery .. not to shabby !!

looking forward to running more test

I always use sleep, no hibernate. Battery lasts a long time on sleep for me.

Update your video drivers if sleep isn't operating correctly - your drivers handle putting the hardware down and bringing it back up correctly, an update can fix the functionality.

any extra risk you can think of having computer in sleep as opposed to hibernate ?

say maybe zipped up in a laptop bag with possible bumps or bangs ?

probably not .. but who knows

If you have an SSD, it's best not to use sleep (unless that's been fixed with newer SSDs and FW). Also on my laptop every once in a while the screen stays black for a while after waking it up (it's a 6 year old celeron laptop though..running W7)

And if it gets bumped or dropped...won't affect it anymore then if it was hibernating or shut down.

I myself never use hibernation.
I use sleep on my laptop almost all of the time, and on my desktop if I'm going to be away for a few hours. I shut it down at night however.

When my laptop was still in use, I never let it hibernate nor sleep, I just closed it so that the screen would turn off and it saved me quite a lot of power tbh.

I never turned it off for quick transports (like when we got shoo'd out of the classroom) which only takes a few minutes, but I DID turn it off while travelling long distances (like going home) unless I was using it of course.

Back