• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smallest Windows 8 install size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeknoBug

Just wondering if anyone knows how small Windows 8 can be brought down to with an install like 3-5GB for Windows 7 with vlite?? I have a netbook that I'm thinking of throwing Windows 8 on for kicks and it only has a 40GB SSD.

I did a standard Win8 install plus Office 2013, web browsing (Firefox beta, Firefox Nightlies, Chrome, plus the built-in IE), plus a few small apps from the new Windows Store (Skype, Google, Solitaire, Minesweeper, Netflix). The whole thing fit and ran on a 25 GB partition without a page file, but it was filled to the top. To Win8's credit, it handled having <100 MB (yes, megabytes) of available HD space really well.

Basic point is that 40 GB is enough for a basic functional install even without cutting back, but you won't have a ton of room left over for media or other stuff. Basic steps like turning off hibernation, turning off system restore, and reducing page file size will help, but I haven't seen much about reducing the install size of Win8 yet. I'm sure people are working on it.

Last night I did a fresh install at 8.4Gb, I ran CMD as administrator and switched off the hibernation file, and as I have tons of ram I reduced the swap file to 16mb, then switched it off as well. I will be able to reduce further by removing a few unwanted Windows components but as a start 8.4Gb is pretty damn good.

Back