• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Power supply, faint burning smell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thewalrus

Registered
I had to rma my old power supply because it was omitting a weird plastic burning smell, Today I got a new power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016
Is there some sort of "new" power supply smell? My old psu didnt do this at the start but later on it released the same odor.
My specs
VGA VISIONTEK900505 HD7850 2G R

HD 1.5T|ST ST31500341AS 7K 32M

PSU CORSAIR|430W CMPSU-430CXV2 R
AMD PHENOM II X4 965 BLK ED

ASROCK 970 EXTREME 3 AM3+ ATX

THERMALTA V3 BLACK GAMING CHASSIS

CRUCIAL 8GB 4X2 D3 1333 DIMM CL9
Any help is very appreciated.

A not-very-good electronics smell that smells a little bit like hot something-nasty-and-chemical is normal.
A solid burning plastic smell is bad. That's often exactly what it smells like.
Are you sure it's the PSU and not something else in the case? The smell could be being sucked in by the PSU fan and spit out the back.

the psu is facing downward, so i dont know if it could still be sucking in that odor

Take the PSU out, and jumper it to turn it on away from the PC. Might not have enough load to make the smell.

Since my first C64 early 1980 to now, and have done lots of PC's, I have never had an odd smell from a PC or a PSU if it was fine.

You prolly still have smelly molecules stuck to the PC and fans etc. It should go away. The smelly molecules stick everywhere but will break down. It's like a fire in the house and smoke damage. The smoke smell hangs around due to the smelly bits.

Give it a few days, open the windows etc.

I got a 1100w modular PSU from rosewill pretty long ago for one of my rigs, and it smelled terribly like burning electronics. While I thought of taking it back, I gave it a chance.

The smell has since gone away, and it has been chugging along at absolute perfection since 2008. Can't complain :attn:

Back