• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte BIOS unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slack3y

Registered
Hey guys I'm not sure if this goes under Motherboards or CPU, so apologies if its in the wrong place! I'm thinking this problem has to do with my motherboard.

http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3726#sp

I just installed my brand new Phenom II (and 2x4GB 1600 DDR3, up from 3gb OEM) yesterday everything is so far so good as far as Gaming goes. The performance boost over my OEM Anthlon is more than significant so I'm thankful for that.

I wanted to do some benchmarking to compare my results with my old CPU/RAM results. My idle temperatures were 30 degrees so I was thinking a tiny 20 FSB OC would be fine for a quick FurMark bench even though the thermal paste had only been worked in for an hour.

I'm using EasyTune6 (Yes I know its bad but its my only option for high clocks right now) and managed to hit 220 FSB on my Phenom before the computer froze. Usually this isn't a big deal - just patience and trial and error until its stable.

Keep in mind I had gone into BIOS to edit RAM / NB / HT multipliers, voltages, etc so the Phenom FSB OC would be stable.

Also keep in mind my old Anthlon could run a stable 241 FSB at 1.5v (stock is 1.4v) with EasyTune6... Prime95 stress tests and everything.

I've made COUNTLESS attempts to figure out my motherboard's problem with BIOS OCing. Everytime I try to set the FSB past 215 in BIOS I save/exit then on POST I get this message: Warning! Now system is in safe mode. Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS setup.

210 FSB seems to boot 70% of the time.
205 FSB around 95%

So to get around this ANNOYING obstacle I would set the FSB to 205 and then add an extra 36 through EasyTune6. Everything worked with that method and CPU-Z was showing the CPU running at 3.5GHz. Although sometimes EasyTune6 would freeze my PC but I noticed if I increase the FSB by 10 each time and wait a few seconds inbetween the chance of freezing is reduced.

And the moment you've all be waiting for!

Normally my method of OC is trial and error (much like everyone) so freezing isn't much of a big deal. But here's where I jump for joy.

Since I've installed the Phenom if the computer restarts WHAT SO EVER and the FSB isn't 200 my monitor won't even pick up a video signal. So now I have to clear my CMOS everytime I boot with an OC.

I'm getting trolled so damn hard...

It is not polite, necessary or really helpful to double post in a forum. For one thing you may be led off in two different directions with those that habit the motherboard but not the cpu section and wind-up chasing yourself in a circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back