• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think I am gonna need some help with new old build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

studcrzr

Registered
Last August I decided I wanted a new budget gamin system since my then system was aging and needed to enter the retirement home.

Well stupid me not doing my research I went out and bought:
Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 ( went through ASUS RMA Hell)
FX-8120 CPU
4x2gb Hyperx Blue DDR3 1600 sticks
XFX Radeon HD 7770

USED
Asus Vento 3600 Red case
Thermatake TR2 600 (RMA to Thermatake replaced with brand new)

Re-used
Sata Seagate Barracuda 750 GB 7200 RPM HD
Sata WD 500 GB 7200 RPM Green Power HD

Opted for no optical drive

Also have my old GTX 550 TI GPU

Anyhow after 3 RMA with ASUS with that motherboard for the exact same audio issue, they are shipping me the Sabertooth 990FX R2. It will be here tomorrow.

I want to do crossfire according the web calculators my PSU is not strong enough even though the 12v rail has either 42 or 48 amps on, I have tried both the AMD and Nvidia card in the system and it powered it just fine under load and stress. However is this PSU large enough?

This ram was on the QCL for the RMA'ed motherboard but not for the Sabertooth go figure...wonder if this gonna be problem?

I am still currently running stock cooler, and my CPU runs easy OC at 4.2 GHZ, if I got some liquid cooler would I be able to push it higher or will the ram hold it back?

I am slowly going to move to eyefinity as I can buy new monitors as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions. Just keep in mind I have limited income since I am disabled.

Thanks in advance!

What two cards will you be using? You mention a Raedon HD 7770. Will you be getting another one of those. You can't use the GTX 550 Ti with the Raedon in Crossfire.

I bought the AMD card to go with the rest of the system. I can either go Xfire or SLI.

I do think even though I like the look of the case I will have to get me another one.

I am not sure if the PSU will be strong enough. Though it has 50 amps on the 12v rail.

The Sabertooth 990fx R2 which arrives today.

Yes, but what I'm saying is you can't combine an Nvidia card with an ATI Raedon card in either crossfire or SLI. The two cards need to be the same make and model unless you go with Crossfire X and then you would be using one Raedon card in conjunction with the onboard video if there is any.

I realize that, I can go either xfire or SLI at this point or do Xfire and hybrid PhysX...but I am asking about the rest of the stuff and for suggestions. Appreciate it though.

Though I was thinking Xfire with the HD 7770 would give me better performance then SLI with the GTX 550 TI.

Back