• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Airflow Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hyperiox

Hello Overclockers! I've come here often looking for information, and previous posts have always been very helpful. This is my first time posting, and I hope you all don't mind that I am asking about a very specific setup.

My build:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz
GPU: Dual GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi)
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX
Memory: 4x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
PSU: CORSAIR HX1050 1050W 80 Gold
Main HD: Seagate 2TB 64MB Cache 7200rpm SATA III HDD

This is my first custom build, and I look forward to pushing my computer to the edge. Attached is a picture of my setup:

http://zeonvoxidon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Computer-Airflow-Setup.png

I have 2 25mm deep Delta fans on the front, 1 38mm deep Delta fan on the back, and 1 38mm deep Delta fan pulling on the Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler. These 4 Delta fans are really high velocity, and really noisy. I only turn them on when needed (which is somewhat rare to be honest).

I have 2 Xigmatek fans on top, 1 Xigmatek fan on bottom, 1 Xigmatek fan on the push position on the CM Hyper 212. There are also 2 12mm deep fans on both sides -not shown in picture- pushing into the case. These 6 fans are always on, and are quiet, but still push a respectable amount of air (90 CFM for the Xigmatek, and about 40-50ish for the two thin ones).

My PSU does have the intake fan facing down, drawing in air from outside the case. The case is placed in a compartment about 8 feet wide, 2 feet deep and 4 feet tall. On either end of this compartment, I have placed window fans in a push/pull position, essentially making a wind tunnel for the computer. Inside this compartment, I also have a printer and several external hard drive cases on the back end.

I am a student, webmaster and a hardcore gamer. My daily tasks include gaming with medium graphics intensity programs (WoW, World of Tanks, Command and Conquers, Starcraft II), retro gaming, video and file compressing/reformatting, uploads and downloads from my website and other websites, all the while playing movies/anime/TV-shows. I sometimes play high-graphics-intensity games like MechWarrior Online and Battlefield 3, which my old computers struggled with. The system is attached to a 5.1 surround sound system, and is running 2 1080 x 1920 resolution touchscreens.

I have a laptop next to these two touch screens. Accross the room, I have another laptop and a custom Mini-ITX computer connected to an old, but expensive high resolution CRT monitor that I just can't let go of...

My questions:

In the picture attached, there are two top fans that are always on. I am unsure if I should have the right side one pulling out of the case, or blowing in. I suspect I should have it pulling so that the case airflow stays at a generally upward-back motion.

Keeping in mind that I have absolutely zero desire to put liquid cooling in my computer, have I set up the system to where I can overclock as efficiently as possible? Is there anything else I can do short of adding liquid cooling? Are there any red flags?

How far do you guys think I can overclock this thing while keeping it stable?

Thanks in advanced guys, I look forward to a response, and hope to work with you all to get as much out of this system as I can. I will be sure to share what happens when I start overclocking. I have never overclocked in the past for fear of loosing stability, in fact I tend to underclock my older systems to keep them running longer/more stable.

Last edited:
Good diagram, and welcome to Overclockers. :D
I would suspect that either intake our exhaust would work well with the side fan. However, I generally prefer to maintain overpressure as to reduce dust buildup.

You have positive pressue and lots of airflow. No worries.

Your ability to get xx overclock depends on your ability, your CPU, your ambient room temp, your mobo quality, and lastly, the phase of the moon.

If your going for major overclocks, your CPU cooler is ..... OKAY. Not great, a good one for basic overclocking.

Now get to overclocking, and ask about specifics in the CPU and GPU forums.

Best of luck, looks like your going to be fine.

Make sure you measure temps stock on idle/load with the right tools and keep records as as you overclock. Only with solid temp data using the rights tools can we help. Gaming loads are too much of a variable, you need P95, Furmark, and the right temp monitoring stuff.

Good start.

Thanks Darknecron, I knew I'd have to deal with dust with these fans, but I didn't know that having a positive internal pressure would help with that. I figured the overall flow of air would be the main contributor towards dust buildup.

Thanks for your attention Conumdrum. What heat sink would you suggest over the Cooler Master Hyper 212? I'm not going to major overclocks, just trying to get the most out of the FX-8350. As such, I have no plans to put liquid cooling on my MoBo or CPU, I just want a safe performance boost with dry cooling.

I'm also interested in folding, and doing benchmarks.

you may want to look at this thread Hyperiox. One guy used a Thermalright archon and was able to get it to 4.9 with it.

Back