• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1600MHz RAM on a 1333 Board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slack3y

Registered
I have a Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2P

It has an old crappy NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a chipset. Under memory on the specifications it says "Support for DDR3 1333(OC)/1066/800 MHz memory modules".

Now I have 1600MHz sticks and I am able to set the Memory Clock to x8 (1600) and it seems stable. I'm wondering If I;m running the risk of damaging anything?

MOBO:
http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3726#sp

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    33.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Memory.PNG
    Memory.PNG
    23.5 KB · Views: 96
  • SPD.PNG
    SPD.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 95
Well first off your memory is running at 1472ish not 1600 but it's not going to hurt anything. The specs on the box are just what they "support" not what it can do.

Well first off your memory is running at 1472ish not 1600 but it's not going to hurt anything. The specs on the box are just what they "support" not what it can do.

That memory picture is wrong its an old screen with my RAM at 1333

So I'm not running a risk of damaging the memory controller, mobo, anything? cause the motherboard is sketchy enough as it is with this old chipset.

Attachments

• Mem1600.PNG
    Mem1600.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 93
Run it at DDR1600 if you want to. It should have no harm at all. And if it should happen to cause a problem, you already said the board was sketchy anyway and you must want another board.

The memory controller is integrated into the CPU nowadays anyway. No longer on the motherboard.

The memory controller is integrated into the CPU nowadays anyway. No longer on the motherboard.

This.

The board really just supplies the lanes between the memory and the controller on the processor. I've never heard of an instance where running RAM faster than officially "supported" by the board caused any problems-- You could possibly face stability concerns of some kind, but as for bricking you board; the chances are pretty near nill.

Back