• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OS for gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jerryshardware

Registered
Hello,
Which OS (windows) do you recommend for gaming the latest games?
Windows 7 ? Is windows 7 good?
Please reply, thank you.

If you already have Windows 7 then yes stick with it as Windows 8 doesn't seem to be that much different, but if you're on an older Windows like XP or Vista, then get Windows 8 (which is $40 right now if you upgrade online).

Be sure you pick up 64bit.

I prefer vista 32 for gaming but if u have more then 4 gigs of ram stick with win7 if you have it,i get 5 to 10 more fps in vista then in win7 could always dual boot to check yourself

I've used Vista 64-bit for many years and I still love it. I DID however switch to Windows 7 64 bit recently and I'm still getting to know that... thing... (Both Ultimate editions btw)

I wouldn't go with Windows 8 since it's a pretty new OS and older games might not be compatible.

So yeah between Vista and 7, my findings are that they are both quite similar when it comes to gaming and there are only a few games that I couldn't get to run, but those were usually either very old or very bad games.

If you're a bit low on RAM, I would go for 7 as it uses less RAM than Vista, if RAM isn't an issue I would choose whatever.

Going from 7 to 8 playing Diablo 3, Windows 8 went south on performance. I've never had lag in 7, but 8 was not able to be resolved and was extremely noticeable and pronounced.

If you already have Windows 7 then yes stick with it as Windows 8 doesn't seem to be that much different, but if you're on an older Windows like XP or Vista, then get Windows 8 (which is $40 right now if you upgrade online).

Be sure you pick up 64bit.
+1. This ^^

I have windows 8 on one of my computers lots of trouble. When it starts up an you see the screen, you can click on the internet icon however it wont do anything for a while till the hard drive finishes loading. Also when I was doing widows update windows 8 said there was a problem updating then every thing was slow and the internet did not work correctly, I hade to do a fresh install of windows 8. Now after the updates again when the computer goes into sleep mode it locks up instead of sleep mode and I have to hold the power button to shut it off.:mad::bang head

I have windows 8 on one of my computers lots of trouble. When it starts up an you see the screen, you can click on the internet icon however it wont do anything for a while till the hard drive finishes loading. Also when I was doing widows update windows 8 said there was a problem updating then every thing was slow and the internet did not work correctly, I hade to do a fresh install of windows 8. Now after the updates again when the computer goes into sleep mode it locks up instead of sleep mode and I have to hold the power button to shut it off.:mad::bang head

ive said it many times in the past every other consumer windows is basically a beta that they sell us we work out the bugs then they sell us a good working copy (Probably Win9 this time around) ill probably stuck with 7 til that happens
sorry for your problems with it tho, im sure they will have a patch out for it soon:)

Back