• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial M4 troubleshooting help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vogster

My computer is in my sig. The Crucial M4 is updated to the latest firmware and my motherboard is updated to the latest BIOS version. I initially had a BSOD problem that I thought was being caused by my SSD see this thread: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719044

Now the problem I'm having is my computer locks up randomly when I'm away, no BSOD I just come back and its still up and running but mouse doesn't do anything, numlock/caplock dont work and my only option is to reboot on which I get a message that the computer cannot find a bootable drive. The solution to this is that I reboot, get into the bios and let it sit for 10-15 minutes then exit the BIOS where I am told it cant find a bootable drive. I restart it again and it boots into the Windows screen telling me Windows was not shut down properly. I get past that and everything works fine for a day or so until randomly I have the same problem. Is this is Windows problem, motherboard problem, SSD problem or what??? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edit to add: When I boot it into the BIOS that first time the SSD doesn't show up in the BIOS.

My m4 has the latest firmware and it seems to be dropping itself from bios randomly as well. I don't have any freezes like you, just sometimes when I restart the pc the drive doesnt show up.

To fix it I just unplug it while im sitting in the bios, restart, plug it back in, restart. Works fine then.

It never locks up when I'm using it and the only thing I have set to go to sleep is the monitor. Before I updated the firmware I would get lockups when using it.

Trying to do that unplug restart trick is how I figured out I could let it sit in the BIOS for a while, restart it and it would start seeing it again.

Funny that you mentioned this. I just updated to the latest firmware a couple weeks ago and just yesterday the disappearing thing happened to me too.

My solution was to unplug the hard drive from the psu with the system off for a few seconds then plugged it back in. Been fine since *knock on wood*

Well, I brought my system down today to drop from 5ghz back to 4.5ghz and turn hyperthreading back on. Rebooted and crucial m4 was missing from bios so I couldn't boot into windows.

Took at least 10-15 reboots and plugging/unplugging to get it to show up and boot.

This was just a minor annoyance for the past few weeks. Now it's a big deal.

Ya there is another thread about this on these forums somewhere about the latest firmware. The dropping from bios problems are a known problem. My drive actually wouldn't even be detected by the bios updater.

If you haven't updated I would stick with firmware 000F for now.

I think mine is still 0009 or something for what the members have said i will stay with this for now. As the saying goes "if its not broken don't fix it" so thanks for the heads up i will be very careful. AJ. :) :thup:

P.S.By the way the new fix for BSOD or SSD not recognized in Bios is Firmware 010G According to the web on Google, but buyer be ware?

Last edited:
010G is what I have on mine now. It seems to have fixed the BSOD problem but now I have this random non-detect problem.

I Think a quick E-mail or call to the Crucial help desk, might be a good idea to help you with your problem. AJ.

I Think a quick E-mail or call to the Crucial help desk, might be a good idea to help you with your problem. AJ.

The only solution is to wait for the next firmware because of this bug

- Fixes an issue where the system loses the SATA link which subsequently causes an issue where the system cannot detect a SSD that is connected to the system.

So what your all saying here no matter what you do at this time there is no fix correct? Wow i am glad i am lazy about up dating my SSD Bro! AJ.

I also have a M4 128GB, I'm using the older 000F firmware, I remember reading that unless there was a problem, to stick with 000F. No problems so far, my M4 is around a year old iirc

I'm reading this and thinking I must be pretty lucky that I'm not having any problems with the 256G M4 in my ancient Thinkpad T500. (I did upgrade from 0009 to 010G BTW.)

It just occurred to me that the T500 may be running the drive at SATA I speeds (150 Gb/s) rather than the faster SATA II or SATA III speeds of which the drive is capable. I wonder if that make a difference. If the drop out is a frequent and annoying problem, it might be worth the effort to try operating at a slower SATA speed if the BIOS and/or OS support that level of configuration. It's possible that the lower data rate does not stress the SSD's controller enough to provoke the problem.

You lose some of the benefit of having the SSD as data rates will drop but the low seek time will still be there. This may be a worth while trade off until Crucial provides a true fix.

Of course the problem may be the result of OS usage patterns (I'm running Linux) or motherboard chipset/BIOS incompatibility and data rate may have no impact at all.

Either way I hope you find a solution.

Hey txus buddy if i stay at 0009 i should be OK right! Never felt the need to up grade or change. Phil.

I was on 0009 before and I feel like that was causing my BSOD problem because that is gone now and in place of it I have this failure to detect. Guess I will just suck it up and wait for the next firmware.

The current BIOS has issues with UEFI BIOS boards and drops from detection after a while only when flashing back to 000F is the problem resolved the issue thread is below

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717590

I would wait for the 020H firmware update seems to fix the UEFI issue and again increases boot time and performance but that could be for Windows 8 as last one was too

- Provides the updated version using the FreeDOS Virtual Floppy method.
- Reduces the time necessary for the system to power on (boot).
FIXES:
- Fixes an issue where the system loses the SATA link which subsequently causes
an issue where the system cannot detect a SSD that is connected to the system.
- Fixes an issue that causes the SSD to become corrupted when the system is
powered off.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...4-firmware-020H-is-soon-available/td-p/112684

Nobody seems to have asked this, so here I am:

Do you have this problem at 100% stock clocks?
Is sleep enabled?
Power saving stuff?

Back