Forum Jump

Beware of Windows Update - nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-19-12, 01:22 PM Thread Starter   #1
redduc900
Super Moderator

10 Year Badge

Beware of Windows Update - nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1

This Nvidia driver update package notification is showing up on Windows Update as an Important update for both Vista and Win7, instead of the usual 'Optional' for this type of update. So I did some research, and found that most folks installing this update are receiving a BSOD / incomplete boot upon reboot of the system, of which not even a System Restore is able to resolve.

So you might want to just hide the update through Windows Update (right-click the update, and select 'Hide update'), and instead update your graphics drivers as you normally would... directly through Nvidia (by direct download, or by using the auto-update feature built into the newer Nvidia driver packages). Here's one article I found detailing the update...

Beware of Windows Update - nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2
http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com/2...te-nvidia.html

redduc900 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
drshivas (11-19-12), EarthDog (11-19-12)
Old 11-19-12, 01:28 PM   #2
EarthDog
Super Mutterator
Overclockers.com Editor

Ouch... excellent find Redduc.. thanks!

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-12, 02:05 PM   #3
petteyg359
Likes Popcorn

This one?
Quote:
nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

Installation date: ‎2012-‎10-‎15 7:06 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware software update released in October, 2012
Or is there a newer one? The only uninstalled driver update on my system right now is for the Intel GPU:

Quote:
Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Download size: 57.3 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

Intel Corporation Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 software update released in September, 2012

[GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
"Apparently, Plaintiff believes that he could sue an egg company for fraud for labeling a carton of 12 eggs a “dozen,” because some bakers would view a “dozen” as including 13 items." - Western Digital 2006
Folding User Stats
petteyg359 is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-12, 02:31 PM Thread Starter   #4
redduc900
Super Moderator

10 Year Badge

The update I posted about refers to the 'Important' version, and not the 'Optional' integrated / mobile versions, the latter of which I wasn't even aware of.

redduc900 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-12, 07:05 PM   #5
av8tor
Registered

too late I already downloaded them. I have had no problems at all since the download...about 1 month ago...so
av8tor is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-12, 07:21 PM   #6
drshivas
Sith Lord

10 Year Badge

I saw that and balked. Will set to ignore. Thanks, redduc900.
drshivas is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-12, 07:32 PM   #7
c627627

c(π*199780) Senior Member

10 Year Badge

Thank you redduc900 for saving a lot of people a lot of grief. I personally go a step further and routinely hide and never install any Driver Updates offered by Windows Update -- because from Windows 98 to Windows 8, Driver Updates rendered untold millions of machines unusable.

Use Windows Update for Windows OS updates only and install drivers from hardware manufacturers and if possible only after imaging the OS partition.
c627627 is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications