• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

790-fx or 970a-ds3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daniel420

Hi new here and just looking for a little advice... I have a Gigabyte 790-fx with a phenom 965 and a Gigabyte 970a-ds3 with a fx-6100. I will be putting two ATI HD 6790's in crossfire in one of the boards and wasn't sure which board and cpu was the better choice. thanks in advance :D

Last edited:
You do n0t give the exact model of the 790FX motherboard but the 790FX motherboards have two PCIe x16 video card slots and both 'electrically' are x16 transfer speed PCIe 2.0.

The cheap 970 chipset motherboard has the video card slots running at x16 for one and only x4 electrically for the other video slot.

Theorectically if the 965BE is able to be overclocked enough to keep the cpu from being a serious bottleneck then the 790FX mobo could be more powerful in CrossfireX mode.

the model is the Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P and I am using a Zalman CNPS9700NT to cool the CPU

You do n0t give the exact model of the 790FX motherboard but the 790FX motherboards have two PCIe x16 video card slots and both 'electrically' are x16 transfer speed PCIe 2.0.

The cheap 970 chipset motherboard has the video card slots running at x16 for one and only x4 electrically for the other video slot.

Theorectically if the 965BE is able to be overclocked enough to keep the cpu from being a serious bottleneck then the 790FX mobo could be more powerful in CrossfireX mode.
thanks for replying
the model is the Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P and I am using a Zalman CNPS9700NT to cool the CPU

Check the Gigabyte website for specifications and see what the two video slots are rated at electrically. I imagine x16 and x16.

If you can get at least 3.6Ghz out of that 965BE processor and most on good boards with good cooling would do 4.0Ghz pretty easily, then I would think that CrossfireX on the 790FX mobo could well perform better.

Check the Gigabyte website for specifications and see what the two video slots are rated at electrically. I imagine x16 and x16.

If you can get at least 3.6Ghz out of that 965BE processor and most on good boards with good cooling would do 4.0Ghz pretty easily, then I would think that CrossfireX on the 790FX mobo could well perform better.

thanks they are both at 16x thanks for the assist

Back