• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to choose a fan(s).

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amnesiac

The last part of this discussion was here. I'll be getting a GPU with that cooling configuration, so now I am looking to improve the air flow in my case.

Well... I never installed the front intake fan for the purpose of 'intake' itself. I installed it just to cool my precious HDD. I dont like my HDD to get hot. Now, with my current fan, the lowest I have seen is at 26C where as the temperature of the room was 16C.

The previous HDD I had, PATA, used to run much hotter but I had this amazing CM Excalibur that used to keep it at room temp how much ever the load was on that HDD. With great power, came great NOISE!. It was extremely loud. As for a fan controller, I did had that idea but dumped it as I am lazy. Constant airflow it is.

I am looking for a 120mm, non PWM, 1800RPM (or more or less) fan that is silent but has good air flow to keep my HDD much much cooler.

My chassis: CM Elite 334.

Current fan: CM 120mm 1200RPM.

A little history.

I have taken this bazooka thing off because of HSF size. Not that I ever liked this bazooka thing.

0z5j3Y8.jpg

Now, would you suggest me to install a fan or two in the side?.

8U5r0L6.jpg

The rear fan will stay stock.

On to the list of fans now.

Available here:

Xigmatek XSF-F1252.

Xigmatek XLF-F1253.

Xigmatek XLF-F1254 (non PWM).

Xigmatek XLF-F1256.

Xigmatek XAF-F1254.

Xigmatek CLF-F1254.

Xigmatek CLF-F1255.

Arctic F12.

Corsair AF120 HIGH AIR FLOW 120MM FAN.

Corsair SP120 QUIET EDITION 120MM FAN.

Can be imported:

LIST WIDE OPEN!.

Dont like:

All Noctua's, SilenX and all rated below 3 stars on newegg.

Last edited:
it looks like you have 4 fan mounts. I've heard conflicting reports about fans over a cpu breaking up the natural convection inside the case. I actually believe it does. Really, i'd leave the side "hole" open. Put one Nocturna in the front, and one in the back...

Not sure why you don't like Nocturnas... by all accounts they're some of the strongest and quietest fans you can get.

here is a quiet fan... not that strong though... but since you lack good fan positioning in that case, and lack ventilation in that case... not sure dude... I'd replace the exhaust fan too.

You need to be able to control the airflow, and a stock case fan won't do it and stay quiet.

My temps are extremely nice. Load and idle. At 16C, the processor idles at 20C. 5 runs of IBT at maximum results in 51C. Do I need more?. No.

BTW, my PC is dead silent. The only time I hear it whine is when I shut any game down and the GPU fan starts slowing. ;)

silverstone air penetrators are top notch, the 120mm is quietest fan i've heard yet.

Back