• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[solved]Low fps in bf3 and low 3dmark11 physics scores. CPU bottlekneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sebbo90

Registered
System specs:
amd phemon ii x4 955 @3.2Ghz
4gb Ram
amd 6950 2gb
gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
SSD

In July I was running this setup fine on bf3 with no lag at all. However I didn't use my pc over the summer and about 3 weeks ago installed windows 8 on it (clean install) re installed everything fresh and now i'm hitting 22fps on battlefield so i decided to run 3dmark11 basic edition. Here are my scores:

SCORE
P3373 3DMarks
GRAPHICS SCORE
PHYSICS SCORE
COMBINED SCORE

Which are way to low. Is my cpu holding back my graphics card? Or is it a graphics related matter?

Thanks

UDPATE tried latest 12.11 beta driver and saw no improvement

UPDATE 2: Ran gpu-z and taskmanager to see cpu and gpu usage and on the last test of 3dmark11 that utilizes both cpu and gpu the gpu load is about 35% whilst the cpu is on 90%.

Last edited:
I had a x4 955 and a 6950 before BF3 but if there was a bottleneck it wasn't much

windows 8 sounds like junk, maybe that's the problem. Are the 6950 clock speeds normal?

Thanks for the replies :)

I had a x4 955 and a 6950 before BF3 but if there was a bottleneck it wasn't much

windows 8 sounds like junk, maybe that's the problem. Are the 6950 clock speeds normal?

I like some bits of windows 8 but overall I think windows 7 is far better. And I am beginning to wonder if windows 8 is the problem too. What clock speeds should I be getting? Gpu clock is 800Mhz and Memory is 1250Mhz

likely card using 2d speeds

How would I check this?

800/1250 is right. Bad fps on a fresh install is strange indeed, did you install all the motherboard drivers from the MB maker ?

What do other games run like?

800/1250 is right. Bad fps on a fresh install is strange indeed, did you install all the motherboard drivers from the MB maker ?

What do other games run like?

No I haven't but I will do that now. Only tired nba2k12 which runs great on full settings but its not very taxing. I'll see how assassins creed 3 plays tomorrow

Nope installed all drivers for my motherboard and no improvement on 3dmark11 :/ any other suggestions? Or details I could provide you with that might help?

Your physics score is extremely low for that processor, as you also have an issue in BF3 I'm going to guess that you have a throttling problem. Can you run Prime95 and get a picture of your temperatures in HWmonitor while it is running?

This is what I was getting with my 955 at 3.8 and my 5850 at 765/1100
3DMark Score
P3808

Graphics Score 3674
Physics Score 4557
Combined Score 3918
GraphicsTest1 19.84 FPS
GraphicsTest2 18.87 FPS
GraphicsTest3 22.74 FPS
GraphicsTest4 9.71 FPS
PhysicsTest 14.47 FPS
CombinedTest 18.22 FPS

This is what I was getting with my 955 at 3.8 and my 5850 at 765/1100
3DMark Score
P3808

Graphics Score 3674
Physics Score 4557
Combined Score 3918
GraphicsTest1 19.84 FPS
GraphicsTest2 18.87 FPS
GraphicsTest3 22.74 FPS
GraphicsTest4 9.71 FPS
PhysicsTest 14.47 FPS
CombinedTest 18.22 FPS

Yeah thats more the score I thought I should be getting

Your physics score is extremely low for that processor, as you also have an issue in BF3 I'm going to guess that you have a throttling problem. Can you run Prime95 and get a picture of your temperatures in HWmonitor while it is running?

You are right. According to a program called cpu thermometer when running prime95 my cpu hits 79.5 :eek: (idling about 41) I shall check if my heatsink/fan are sited correctly. Is there a program that you recommend just to check the results?

thanks

That does sound high for the CPU temp but I usually just go by core temperatures so how are your core temperatures? A picture like this could be helpful but at this point you are probably better off pulling the heat-sink off and applying new paste.

Core Temps.png

image.png

Yeah I also noticed that the cpu is going between 800mhz and 3.6ghz, so it must be throttling. I'll resit the heatsink today and see if it works. Thanks for all the help

sebbo that is your problem. 62c is supposedly max temp on a 955, 78 is umm HOT! Lets start by returning the chip to stock. At this point could you put the specs of your system in your signature, here is how. Please include your case, how many fans are installed and what heatsink. Now is the case clean, ie fans, heatsink etc. Get all those dusty parts cleaned up. Are the fans running, especially the heatsink? See if, "like you said" reseating the heatsink works.

sebbo that is your problem. 62c is supposedly max temp on a 955, 78 is umm HOT! Lets start by returning the chip to stock. At this point could you put the specs of your system in your signature, here is how. Please include your case, how many fans are installed and what heatsink. Now is the case clean, ie fans, heatsink etc. Get all those dusty parts cleaned up. Are the fans running, especially the heatsink? See if, "like you said" reseating the heatsink works.

Cheers for the help! I found the problem, the fan and heatsink wont sit properly (I cleaned tightened all the screws, resat it but it still ran high). I decided the best option was to purchase a new cpu cooler. I opted for the ante kulher 620 and now I have the correct benchmark scores and not lag. I am also getting idle temps of 27/28 and under full load 44, so all is well :D

Sweet, good thing it is still running and not a glob of melted silicon. Since you have the 620 now and your temps are 44c click that multi up a but more. I was able to run 4.0 24/7 at about the same CPU-Volts with my 955be. Though not all chip are the same.

this thread makes me what to run it and see of the c2d with the same card does . I just got this card and havent even benched it yet

Sweet, good thing it is still running and not a glob of melted silicon. Since you have the 620 now and your temps are 44c click that multi up a but more. I was able to run 4.0 24/7 at about the same CPU-Volts with my 955be. Though not all chip are the same.

I know, I am very happy I didn't destroy my chip. And getting 4Ghz with same volts and max temp after running prime95 is 47 :D

Back