• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Catalyst 10.4a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twix

Registered
Hi, I have a Radeon HD 4850 that doesn't like 12.6, nor the previous CCC release. I used 10.4a a while ago and it worked flawlessly, but AMD seem to dislike anyone downloading older software. Does anyone know where I can find a copy?

Yep, tried them. I used some removal tool I got from another forum to scrub out all the amd stuff, and tried that latest one. It's kinda working, but I still get these odd crashes under long flash videos and high intensity games. basically, after watching about an hour and a half of full-screen videos (it's only flash that seems to precipitate this problem) the playback freezes. I can still hear sounds, but the video is essentially paused. If I ctrl-alt-delete in time, I can rescue the system and let it recover on it's own, but if I don't I get a bsod, and I think upon restart it states atikmap.sys or something like it. I've tried numerous fixes, some with more success than others, but it happens stupidly often.

The other issue I have is that sometimes, without warning, my display turns off. When I look at the GPU, it displays a red light in the rear corner opposite the socket side. The computer is still on a this point. In order to restore my display, I have to turn off my PC, and then wait around ten minutes for the card to resume output on boot.

Yesterday, I tried the profile+custom fan speed mod. It works to an extent, i.e. cuts down the number and frequency of the bsod's, but in order to not suffer from them I'm having to mount a household high-airflow fan directed at the GPU with the case open, which is obviously going to cause no end of issues before long. I'm sticking to only using the fan when watching video's and playing games, but it's still a pisstake.

For the record, I tried 10.4a yesterday, too, a friend had a copy. It worked better than any of my previous fixes, but I can't use a custom cooling profile. I've reverted to 12.6, with the profile, but I'm screwed if I know what to do now.

I'm aware I gave no information in my last post, so here:
Foxconn GX something... I can't tell right now, my Sandra installation has "done goofed"
Intel celeron 1.6ghz cpu
16gb Ram
880w PSU
4xHDD, 3xSATA 1xATA
Self controlling 1200rpm CPU cooler, self built, on default mobo heatsink
default ATI Heatsink + fan
Turbocharger based self built case fan, rated 200 Air watts, super silenced

Total power drawn from PSU = 547.2w over a 12hr average reading. This includes playing a few games, watching YT, doing my work and about 8hrs idle time. My PC is on about 15hrs a day.

Also, while I remember, I put some brand new heat paste on about six weeks ago. No effect.

How old is the 4850?

The only time I use the driver "cleaners/scrubbers" is when switching gpu manufacturers. You don't need to with the same drivers. I run into more problems than solutions when I do.. But that's me..

I've had the card for a little while, perhaps two years, maybe longer.

I've heard lots of stories about scrubbers, with varying rates of success. I kept running into problems when upgrading any ATI drivers, including non responsiveness and crashes. This happened with my old laptop too, a toshiba L300 with that ATI chipset that everyone loved. I have to admit, ATI is the only producer that I've had problems of this nature with, I can't say the same for the likes of nVidia or anything else for that matter.

I replaced it pretty recently, and the highest I've ever seen my temp is 86 Celsius. That's playing a copy of Driver SF with everything maxed, and a framerate of about 40.

OP was looking for 10.4a

Back in 2010, drivers after 10.4a or so introduced some issues for 4xxx series hardware. These issues were directly addressed by the 10.8b and 10.9a hotfix drivers, with the fix being included natively in drivers after that point.

But during that several month period, it was widely recommended that users of 4xxx hardware stay with 10.4a. This caused some to ultimately latch onto that ancient driver as some sort of cure-all and continue to recommend using that driver even to this day. Of course, I disagree.

I had some very similar issues after the 12.4's, that the newer drivers would allow it to undervolt when doing video or just when the screen saver was on. I used MSI Afterburner to force it to use the default constant voltage so it would stop freezing using the latest drivers. All drivers from 12.4 did this and only the latest one works with the constant voltage, I think it had something to do with ATI steady video as well but am not sure.

I've been running the 12.6 edition after the scrub for a while now, with only one system crash so far. This is a massive improvement, but I think the card is irreparably damaged, as I uncovered an inherent problem in 12.4. It apparently involves a form of overclocking, but the fan speed remained at manual control. Not knowing this, I think I have caused a deal of heat damage.

Cheers to everyone who tried to help, it's much appreciated. Now, where's my wallet?

Nice one. Any ideas on why I'm struggling to play HD video? Or is that just a subset of the heat damage?

Back