• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7600GT Black Screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daaave

Registered
bought a cheap palit 7600gt, refuses to work. powers on fine, fans spin but no display. only display comes from integrated gpu (set it to PCI graphics in the bios).

getting errors when installing drivers (windows cannot load the required drivers) but sometimes they install, still no display.

Athlon X2 7550 2.51GHz
Asus M2N68AM-SE2
2GB DDR2
Antec 430W PSU

Tried reseating multiple times, tried both outputs on the card and still nothing.

Device manager if that is of any help;

2ebeoau.png.jpg

card literally doesn't display anything. it seems the board doesnt want to switch from integrated to dedicated?

Have you a second system to drop the card into to test to see if it's the card or mobo? Do you have a second monitor so you can see what happens if you try to boot with both onboard and the 7600?

dont have a second system however i hooked up a second monitor to the card and booted, still nothing.

so after spending an unsuccessful afternoon trying to get it to work i read a post about unknown devices in device manager and searching for VEN/DEV numbers, which came up with VEN_10DE&DEV_03E1, related to PCI. Could the card not working be to do with the wrong drivers? I get code 31 (This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.) on the device. Installed all new drivers from Asus but no go, and googling for the VEN/DEV drivers comes up some shady websites.

The video card should still work without nvidia drivers. I would try a different video card.

Are you using the same cable for the two video sources? The mobo has only a VGA output but the video card has both VGA and DVI, correct? If you're using the DVI then maybe you've got a bad DVI cable, try the VGA port on the video card. If you are using the VGA port on the card then try the DVI port with an adapter. Maybe the VGA port on the card is borked.

yep card is vga and dvi. tried both ports with and without adapters, different cables, even different monitors. reinstalled win7 and drivers, even reflashed bios and still no go.

going to assume the card is broke.

Sounds like you've eliminated almost everything. The only possibility I can think of other than the card itself is the motherboard. What were you running before the 7600GT, just the onboard graphics or did you have a video card installed before the 7600? Was there ever a video card in the PCIe slot before that worked?

before this i had another 7600GT in the system, which worked fine but died recently.

the system recognizes theres something there and it powers fine, don't have a second system to test it in though.

Saw that, does not rule out the slot could be semi-dead though.
Anyway, no drivers are needed for a card to display on POST while connected through VGA.
Inspect the motherboard to see if any bulging capacitors or popped components around the PCI-e slot. Check also the slot itself, no dirt/dust that could hinder any of the contacts.

Check also the PCI-e contacts on the card(s) itself, and clean them.

In BIOS set Primary graphics adapter PCIE-PCI-IGP.
OnChip VGA buffer = 32MB
As a test could also enable GART error reporting in case it would confirm something.

Last edited:
before this i had another 7600GT in the system, which worked fine but died recently.
What is the result of using that 7600 after it died? Did it give the exact same problem (no video at all) or something different like massive artifacting? If the issue is the same it could be the PCIe slot. Do you have any kind of other PCIe card you could put in the x16 slot and run the onboard graphics to see if the PCIe card works?

You may not see it now but it's a blessing in disguise. Grab yourself a good recent card like a GTX 660 (non Ti). This beast is inexpensive and is about 70% faster than 1 of my GTX 460 1GB.:drool:

Back