• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which AM3+ board would you choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

I think I've finally decided that I'm going to go with an AM3+ build over an FM2 build, and I'm not sure which board I should go with. I'm probably going to get an FX-4300 or FX-6300 and I want to spend $100 or less on a motherboard. Here are the ones that I'm looking at. Any preferences, or are they all solid choices?

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
8+2 phase count

ASRock 970 EXTREME4
4+1 phase count

ASUS M5A88-V EVO
8+1 phase count

ASUS M5A99X EVO
6+2 phase count

As you can see, all the boards have different phase counts, but the charts at overclock.net have all four listed as recommended for overclocking. The ASRock board seems to have the weakest VRM of the four, but it has good reviews at Newegg and seems to be a reliable overclocker. Any preference on these? Thanks!

I think I've finally decided that I'm going to go with an AM3+ build over an FM2 build, and I'm not sure which board I should go with. I'm probably going to get an FX-4300 or FX-6300 and I want to spend $100 or less on a motherboard. Here are the ones that I'm looking at. Any preferences, or are they all solid choices?

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
8+2 phase count

ASRock 970 EXTREME4
4+1 phase count

ASUS M5A88-V EVO
8+1 phase count

ASUS M5A99X EVO
6+2 phase count

As you can see, all the boards have different phase counts, but the charts at overclock.net have all four listed as recommended for overclocking. The ASRock board seems to have the weakest VRM of the four, but it has good reviews at Newegg and seems to be a reliable overclocker. Any preference on these? Thanks!

First off, get a 6300, you won't regret it.

Secondly, I wouldn't suggest a 4+1 VRM for the new FX processors, even though that's probably the best 4+1 board there is haha.

I am particular to the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3, it is a pretty darn nice little board. Just keep in mind revision 1.0 does not have LLC controls, and the board is a bit notorious for having a vdroop problem (Easily countered but it is still there)

I'd reccommend it over these other two, but really go with what fits your needs to the best of your knowledge, I don't think you'll go but so wrong with any of them

Having owned the 990fxa-ud3 I'd certainly buy another one and for $100 it's a beast, I was happy with it at $150.

My only complaint would be that the 990fxa-ud3 is low on fan headers IIRC.

So I'd certainly choose it over the other boards even without trying them because I thought it was an excellent board.

I am particular to the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3, it is a pretty darn nice little board. Just keep in mind revision 1.0 does not have LLC controls, and the board is a bit notorious for having a vdroop problem (Easily countered but it is still there)

What's the easy counter for the vdroop problem?

What's the easy counter for the vdroop problem?

Increasing PLL voltage over what you normally would for OC'ing (This doesn't tack any more than 1c onto your top end temp). It doesn't take much-- The boards got a lot better after revision 1.0, and the new BIOS treated them very well :D

I haven't had any issues with my M5A99X Evo. Had my 955be on it at 4.3 stable and my 8350 at 5.0 stable. For the money I feel it's a really good choice.

I haven't had any issues with my M5A99X Evo. Had my 955be on it at 4.3 stable and my 8350 at 5.0 stable. For the money I feel it's a really good choice.

I've heard some good things about these as well. At least we can narrow his choices down to two, right? :D

I couldn't get a 955 up to 4.3 on the UD3 (In my defense, I had a C2, it topped at 3.85..), but I can get a 8350 up to 5.2 stable (abeit a bit hot).

Depends on the user I think at this point-- Both boards put up with a lot and have pretty darn good good options. I do wish AMD boards give a bit more voltage control..and smaller voltage bump increments.. This has nothing to do with either board, though. Choose away!

Edit: Does that M5A99X have a digital controlled power phase? I know some of the 6+2s are digital vs analog-- could really help a novice / intermediate OCer get their chip sped up easier

I've heard some good things about these as well. At least we can narrow his choices down to two, right? :D

I couldn't get a 955 up to 4.3 on the UD3 (In my defense, I had a C2, it topped at 3.85..), but I can get a 8350 up to 5.2 stable (abeit a bit hot).

Depends on the user I think at this point-- Both boards put up with a lot and have pretty darn good good options. I do wish AMD boards give a bit more voltage control..and smaller voltage bump increments.. This has nothing to do with either board, though. Choose away!

Edit: Does that M5A99X have a digital controlled power phase? I know some of the 6+2s are digital vs analog-- could really help a novice / intermediate OCer get their chip sped up easier

The Asus does have a digital controlled power phase. I would consider myself to be an intermediate OCer :)

The Asus does have a digital controlled power phase. I would consider myself to be an intermediate OCer :)

In that case, I'll go ahead and concur with Mandrake's reccomendation. Digital phase control is a major boon when it comes to stability-- It feels like cheating :D

Well I will just be...

...just be dipped. :D

This has to be the very best thread ever to reply to a poster's request in a "which is best" of 'his' choices question. I will admit he had done his homework very well with having looked at the article on phases of the various mobos. But the way you guys walked right on bye the fanism for a particular mobo down to what is perhaps better today...freeken awesome. Congratulations men.

RGone...ster. :chair:

Like RGone said, thanks for the courtesy and for being so helpful. I know it's annoying when people come in here and ask which board they should get without doing any of their own research. I've spent a couple of weeks looking at parts and I had it narrowed down, I'm just unfamiliar with these new AMD platforms. My last overclocked build was on an old AM2 system with a dual core opteron and Biostar motherboard. I haven't used an Asus board since the Athlon XP days and I've never had a Gigabyte or ASRock board. I also know next to knothing about overclocking the new FX CPU's and I just want to make sure that I get the most reliable and stable board that I can get for my price range. It will be a couple of weeks before I finally pull the trigger on this, so it will probably come down to whatever has the better deal at the time. I think I've got it narrowed down to the Gigabyte board and the Asus M5A99X, but I'm leaning more toward the Asus.

Again, thanks for the help! I'm excited to get a new build going and have some fun overclocking again. Aside from some GPU overclocking I've been out of the game for a while and I haven't built a new system from scratch since 2007. It's been a long time! Glad that I can always count on OCF for some rock solid advice :)

Like RGone said, thanks for the courtesy and for being so helpful. I know it's annoying when people come in here and ask which board they should get without doing any of their own research. I've spent a couple of weeks looking at parts and I had it narrowed down, I'm just unfamiliar with these new AMD platforms. My last overclocked build was on an old AM2 system with a dual core opteron and Biostar motherboard. I haven't used an Asus board since the Athlon XP days and I've never had a Gigabyte or ASRock board. I also know next to knothing about overclocking the new FX CPU's and I just want to make sure that I get the most reliable and stable board that I can get for my price range. It will be a couple of weeks before I finally pull the trigger on this, so it will probably come down to whatever has the better deal at the time. I think I've got it narrowed down to the Gigabyte board and the Asus M5A99X, but I'm leaning more toward the Asus.

Again, thanks for the help! I'm excited to get a new build going and have some fun overclocking again. Aside from some GPU overclocking I've been out of the game for a while and I haven't built a new system from scratch since 2007. It's been a long time! Glad that I can always count on OCF for some rock solid advice :)

Glad we could help! Building a new rig is always fun :D Now, don't skimp out this close to the end, grab that 6300 :mad:

I wouldn't be a member of this forum if it were annoying to answer these questions. I myself ask plenty of questions that may seem dumb to someone. :) I'm glad I could be of some help.

Glad we could help! Building a new rig is always fun :D Now, don't skimp out this close to the end, grab that 6300 :mad:

No skimping here :) The only thing I'm thinking about skimping on is ram. I originally planned to go with 16gb because it's so bloody cheap, but now I'm thinking it might be worth going with 8gb and getting an FX-8320 instead. It doesn't make sense to get the FX-4300 because it's only $10 less than the FX-6300. An extra $10 for two more cores is a no-brainer... but what about an extra $50 for four more cores? I'm probably going to go with the FX-6300 and hold off on octo-core until Steamroller (assuming that it's significantly faster than Piledriver and compatible with socket AM3+).

No skimping here :) The only thing I'm thinking about skimping on is ram. I originally planned to go with 16gb because it's so bloody cheap, but now I'm thinking it might be worth going with 8gb and getting an FX-8320 instead. It doesn't make sense to get the FX-4300 because it's only $10 less than the FX-6300. An extra $10 for two more cores is a no-brainer... but what about an extra $50 for four more cores? I'm probably going to go with the FX-6300 and hold off on octo-core until Steamroller (assuming that it's significantly faster than Piledriver and compatible with socket AM3+).

6300 gets to a higher OC with a smaller cooler-- This is better for gaming than an octo-core IMO.

I say get faster 8GB RAM (Lower CAS latency mainly) for a few bucks less than 16GB of budget ram, and enjoy the benefits :D

Hey again,

Sorry to through another board in the mix here, but I just saw this deal on Newegg. The Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 for $105 and it comes with 8gb of G.Skill ddr3 1600 for free. It doesn't have the digital VRM that the Asus boards have, but it does have 8+2 phase count and a heatsink on the mosfets. Seems like a pretty decent deal to me. Any reason why this board wouldn't overclock well?

Last edited:
I am going to try and follow the lead set forth in the rest of the thread. The Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 at that price with the ram is a pretty good deal. A number of boards right now are coming with free ram. I ordered my CHV with Free ram and ram was out of stock and so they never sent and SAID NEVER would send the ram. Be sure to check to see if the ram they are saying is free is really in stock when you place the order. I hestitate now to buy from NewEgg at all. P'd me off.

I remain still more in favor to the Asus digital power control since it has been a real dream for me with LLC being exceptionally accurate to tune without over or undershoot of Vcore.

Thanks for the advice RGone. It looks like the RAM is in stock. Even though I've been drooling over the Asus boards, I think I found a deal with the Gigabyte board that is too good to pass up.

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
+
AMD FX-6300
+
G.Skill DDR3 1600 (2x4gb)

All for $235
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1094285

That is a great deal, and a nice board. Don't know what you're planning on using for CPU cooling, but as an FYI-I have 2x G.Skill Ripjaws series and the sinks on the ram are tall enough that I had to slightly offset the CPU fan on a Coolermaster EVO. Not a problem, just don't let it throw you.

Last edited:
Back