• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Matrix 7970 voltage spike

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dragnel

I have had the card for a month with the new build and try overclocking it to 1200mhz seem stable at first.
but within this week things seem to not work out. When i play dota 2 the GPu tweak/monitor would report voltage spike to 1.4v but i only overclock it to stock voltage, and it seem to happen several times too. Gpu-z and HWmonitor report only 1.26v max and when i close all of them and only using GPU Tweak still report 1.4v spike. tried reinstall drivers roll back, and reinstall gpu tweak all no help. here the picture while i play dota showing GPU Tweak Tried downclocking voltage to 1.17 but when i open hwmonitor immidiate jump to 1.26 in GPU monitor.still having spike on dota 2
should i RMA the card only few days left for newegg rma.
Specs
Windows 7x64
Gigabyte z77 Up5
Intel core i7 3770k stock clock
Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 1600
samsung 830 256gb
corsair HX750w

If it's only the one app reporting the spike, couldn't it just be an issue with the Gpu tweak/monitor?

You have a Matrix... it has voltage read points. Use them for the greatest accuracy. Software can be wrong at times and a hard reading is the best way to check things. Since you paid a premium for that card (hopefully you will be going extreme overclocking!), use the features! :)

now playing borderlands 2 and it is still spiking. are there any other monitor i should try?
and there's only few days left for RMA don't think i can wait for a voltage reader.

Go to radio shack or some place local and get one.

Again, I wouldnt worry about the software reading until you confirm via hardware its actually bad.

ok got the multimeter where should i point these at for readings?
no manual for matrix

Its labeled on the card. Ground to black lead and red to what you want to measure.

See front page article... :)

Back