• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe CPU Temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gotech

Registered
A Place where Sunshine is a Rare privilige
I just recently built a computer. i have an AMD Trinity A8-5600k CPU. at first, i just used the stock cooler, because I didn't want to do any overclocking or high performance stuff on it, just microsoft office, web browsing, etc. anyway, the stock cooler was really noisy, so i got an Arctic Alpine 64 GT cooler. It is distinctly quieter, and i am pretty happy with it. i was wondering what normal safe tempertures for CPU's are. mine is running consistently at 63-68 degrees C.

74C max. for the APU. What does CPU-Z show as the default Vcore, assuming it's still set to Auto in the BIOS?

CPU temps must be monitored under full load. Bios will only give temps at idle. We generally use Prime95 (the blend test) to generate a full load and then we check temps with a program called HWMonitor. There are two temps that are important: CPU temp (really, its the motherboard socket temp) and core temps. HWMonitor displays both. Safe CPU socket load temp is probably around 70-75c and safe core load temp is probably around 60-65c.

HWMonitor may label the CPU socket temp with a generic label like TMPINO, TMPIN1, TMPIN2 depending on the motherboard. Tell us what all those in that section are along with the max core temps after running the Prime95 20 minute blend test and we'll help you sort it out.

google it to get Prime95. It's readily found on the internet. Get it from Meserme, the author of the program, if possible.

This is the reason for me asking you to download CPU-Z and post the Vcore (Core Voltage), because it has a direct effect on core temp's.

The Vcore under both load and idle look OK. I think default Vcore for the 5600K is ~1.40V. You might want to try remounting the HSF (heatsink / fan), making sure the base is completely square w/ the socket and not over-tightened.

the base on the Heatsink fan is mounted correctly, it is a little tight, tighter than the stock cooler, but not so much that it would damage or affect the CPU. I ran the prime95 blend test again, and after about 3 minutes i stopped it because the cpu temps were getting to 95. the cpu is running pretty cool at the moment, though (45-48). like i said, the computer won't be used for any gaming or high performance applications, so I should be fine, as long as the temps don't escalate. thanks for all your help, it is highly appreciated! :)

Jeez those temps are really, really high. Did you use thermal paste at all? My temps never break 45C while running Prime95 at 1.44V vCore, 3800/4400 CPU speed. Idling at 0.9V, 1400MHz, and right now CPU temp is 26.5C measured by OHM. It's 22C in the room right now. Is this an HTPC or something with bad airflow?

there was thermal paste already applied on the heatsink i got. i have a midtower case with a micro-atx motherboard in, so theres plenty of room inside the case. i only have one fan at the back of the case, but i don't have any gaming components or parts that would get really hot. the main problem is the cpu, i think i'll try reseating heatsink.

Back