• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED SSD lost efi partition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peugot

what is the efi partition and do i need it for somthing? it was deleted when i formatted my intel ssd....

If your system is functional, then you aren't using it. It is used to store EFI programs (for example, to run Windows) that the motherboard can run directly.

If your system is functional, then you aren't using it. It is used to store EFI programs (for example, to run Windows) that the motherboard can run directly.
So for example the overclocking software? I ask as I do not have this partition, and in fact, do not recall ever seeing it outside of that MSR thing (100MB) for bitlocker and what not...:shrug:

Or would this only be for MSI boards where they, in windows, give you the ability to change bios settings (CLickBIOS). I guess Im just not sure what this is exactly,

The UEFI/EFI partition on the hard drive is to run EFI programs. This could be anything from a bootloader (for Windows or Linux, for example), memtest, or literally anything that would fit on that partition.

It shouldn't have anything to do with overclocking, as that is going to either be completely contained within the motherboard BIOS or a program you install in Windows.

it was on the ssd when i first got it, 100 mb i think. but it got deleted. what windows things is using it? will my system be worse without it, like harm my windows or something? and how do i get it back?

Like I mentioned, it is used for the Windows bootloader. But, if you reinstalled without UEFI, then it reverts to the old MBR.

Basically, if it is working, leave it.

Like I mentioned, it is used for the Windows bootloader. But, if you reinstalled without UEFI, then it reverts to the old MBR.

Basically, if it is working, leave it.

what exactly is it, what is the difference between efi and mbr?? and can i get it back?

MBR (master boot record) is the name given to the first sector of your drive. It contains the partition table (the 4 primary partitions) + a small boot program in order to load an OS in the active partition.

As I said in your other thread, the difference between a BIOS system and an UEFI system is that the EFI is your bootloader (so no more MBR) while it was the BIOS and the MBR that dealt with the boot part in non UEFI systems.

Sorry, I'm writing a paper for a class right now, so I'll try to keep it brief.

The Master Boot Record (MBR) is a very small and limited entry at the beginning of a hard drive that tells the motherboard where to find executable code. This is responsible for loading a bootloader, which its job is to load the operating system. You can see where this double step gets pretty silly today.

Intead, UEFI/EFI has a partition on the hard drive that the motherboard can read. In this, it can see executable files that can either be full operating systems (such as memtest, which is small) or bootloaders that load the operating system. This removes a step and gives much more flexibility in booting the system.

To get it back, you will need to make sure that UEFI is enabled on your board, boot the disk as UEFI mode (most boards do it by default or have an option for it), and then reinstall your operating system. To know if Windows is installing as UEFI, delete the partitions on the SSD, create them again and there should be three. One for UEFI (~100-200mb), one for Windows recovery, and the rest for Windows itself. If there are two, your disk did not boot in UEFI mode.

Sorry, I'm writing a paper for a class right now, so I'll try to keep it brief.

The Master Boot Record (MBR) is a very small and limited entry at the beginning of a hard drive that tells the motherboard where to find executable code. This is responsible for loading a bootloader, which its job is to load the operating system. You can see where this double step gets pretty silly today.

Intead, UEFI/EFI has a partition on the hard drive that the motherboard can read. In this, it can see executable files that can either be full operating systems (such as memtest, which is small) or bootloaders that load the operating system. This removes a step and gives much more flexibility in booting the system.

To get it back, you will need to make sure that UEFI is enabled on your board, boot the disk as UEFI mode (most boards do it by default or have an option for it), and then reinstall your operating system. To know if Windows is installing as UEFI, delete the partitions on the SSD, create them again and there should be three. One for UEFI (~100-200mb), one for Windows recovery, and the rest for Windows itself. If there are two, your disk did not boot in UEFI mode.

so i need to delete everything again. hmm i will when something goes wrong, works for now.. but my ssd only have one partition now..

It will work fine. There is no ticking time bomb or any feature you are missing. It is nice to have, but isn't required.

Back