• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar a880g+ 3+1 phase running Phenom II 955 c3@ 3.4 1.35 vcore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gridlock

Registered
No heatsink on vrm's and i do not wan't to put my stock cooler back on. :( will this be as good? i got this hooked up with a fan controller so i can run it on high if need be. @ 1.35 should be same as running my rig @ stock. i would think even @ 3.4. motherboard auto sets my vcore @ 1.4. i've been running 3.4ghz with 1.4 vcore for a year now with an arctic freezer 7 pro cooler. Till i started reading how my motherboard is dangerous running any 125 watt chip. Phase count being 3+1. So my question is will this fan be as good or better @ cooling my vrm's?? :shrug: :chair: P.S. If i lower vcore even a little more than 1.35(which is stock) 3d mark 11 and 3d mark vantage will crash or bsod. and i can 30 or more passes of intel burn test and pass even with less vcore and hours and hours of prime95 blend. why is that??? And i know i should stop with the stress tests being only 3+1 phase with 125 whooping watts of power.

According to the manufacturer specs, your board does support 125w CPU's. You're fine running the Phenom II 955 on that board. However, overclocking is definitely not recommended on that board. You're only overclocking it by 200MHz. You might be okay for a while but in my experience cheaper motherboards eventually die even with mild overclocks. I had a cheap Biostar motherboard running a dual core Athlon CPU and after a couple of years with a 200MHz overclock the capacitors went bad and the system became unstable. If I were you I'd run it at stock or try to get a new motherboard.

i just got my vcore down to 1.3 and i also went down from 1.1 to around 1.075 on my northbridge and now i can run both 3dmark 11 and 3dmark vantage without crashing like any other time i would just lower vcore. i i have no idea why that works. i can't find any info on it either by googling. But seems stable so far. I ran intel burn test also no problems. should i go lower or not? and thanx for your reply juane414. hope by lowering volts and such i can make my 200mhz overclock less stressful.

Last edited:
Typically you set your vcore to the lowest that you can and still have your system be stable. If your vcore is already running lower than stock though, I'd say it's probably fine.

And welcome to the forums by the way!

do you have a fan mounted on the case side blowing into the socket and vrm section?

i have have an antec 300 with 2 in front blowing in, 1 on side blowing in top rear blowing out, 1 top fan blowing out and a small fan blowing right on vrm area of mobo.

sounds like it's as cool as it's going to get.
I have a 955 stepping 2 in a ta790gx-a3+ and at 1.524 the vrm gets truly hot!!!!

you probably got a heat sink on your vrm's. You can overclock your 955 like it was made for.

Back