• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lcd-tft vs led for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Borgqueenx

Registered
I could buy a old(2-3. Years) but really well working dell ultrasharp 2408wfp...
But im wondering how it compares with monitors of right now(cheaper ones below 200 dollar) for example how is it against a samsung syncmaster s23a350?
I am going to play far cry 3 on highest so colors are important. I want a deep experience in the jungle!
Cnet reviewed the ultrasharp good but technology gets better..so would they still say its a good monitor compared to whats out there now?

All monitors of today uses led.
Ive ofcource done my homework on researching this subject...but it seems the opinions are very different.

Like i said...its for the games. I want to see a nice deep sea the deep green jungle...i have intention on ever going to watch movies on this.

The ultrasharp i can buy (for about 125usd) does have 6ms pixel response. I have no idea if thats bothering me. Playing games above 30fps is good. Im now used to playing games above15 fps. If that ms reponse time got anything to do with fps.

Last edited:
:welcome:

Hi and welcome to OCF!

Could you tell us which version of the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP it is? :)

The 2007 or the 2009 version?

I ask you the question because the answer will be completely different :D

OK!

So, the main issue of the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP in its 2007 version was its display delay...

The 6ms and the absence of reverse ghosting ensure you that the display won't have any problem to follow quick movements in your games (no "matrix" effect ;) ). But the delay between an event in the game (an opponent appears) and the moment when it does appear on the screen is quite long! (about 4 pictures... so 2/15 sec at 30 fps...).

For a "classical" player, it is not really an issue: our reflex are what they are. If you need 1 second to react, then the 50 ms delay can't be an excuse :D

For a "skilled" player, it can quickly become a real pain...

The colors of the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP are not really what I would expect for a display in this price range. Let's say that there are better choice!
You can get a real decent color setting if you calibrate it ( if you don't know how to do nor have the equipment, you should be able to find some calibrating profiles on the internet for this screen). The sRGB mode can't do miracle at each time.

The display delay is far better in the 2009 version but color settings are quite the same...

It is a VA display, so you will get excellent viewing angles and really good contrast, with deep blacks.

Regarding the Samsung, it is a TN: really bad viewing angles, poor contrast (black are grey... at best!), colors have... to be fixed yourself! :D

In the price range (~200$), you may be able to find decent IPS display with good reactivity and decent color settings.

I am not a fan of ASUS for lots of products (mobo, GPU, ...) but I have to admit that in terms of display, they do a really good work, often well priced (not cheap, but it stays where it has to be).

So pressing buttons ect will appear on screen after 50ms? Half a second? Thats a big time indeed! The mouselook will probaly be delayed alot!

Hmmm thats not good at all. And that delay is half a second?
This probaly means alot misses when shooting as well..and more ****.
Thanks i think i might skip this monitor.

What about desktop mouse movement? If i move the mouse i should see the pointer follow the mouse movement after half a second or is that theory wrong?

No, don't be afraid, it is not an half second: what you see on this picture is two ss at the same moment: it has just been taken at the right moment. The delay may be of more or less 30 or 40 ms total (adding the 6ms latency, etc...). So basically, it is about 1/25 of a second, 1/6 in the worse case scenario.
Since there is no reverse ghosting on this screen, you won't feel the delay in many many case. The only few times you may experiment it is in first person shooters (like above), when a player comes suddenly from behind a wall, etc...: it may seem to appear from nowhere :)

It isn't a "crappy" display as it could sounds like, but there are many better display around 200, 250$ ...

Let's check the Dell U2211H, Dell 2209WA or the ASUS PA238Q :)

Well 125 dollar for the 2408wfp is not much but i dont want to lose a battle because people can appear out of nowwhere...
1/25 or 1/6 of a second is a big difference...

Looked at the asus the rest is too expensive. The asus has serious backlight bleeding issueses on most units i see by more then 1 review.

Yes, some units suffers from it, but there are a fews settings that can reduce it if you are one of the (very) unlucky:

Reduce the color temperature to from 6500K to 5500K,
Reduce the tracefree option from 60 to 40.
Decrease the luminosity of the screen (~200 cd/m²).

It won't erase the blacklight bleeding but reduce it a little and give you better color (delta E ~2.2) and really good reactivity.

If you don't like the "lottery" (I understand you VERY well), take a look to the Philips Brilliance 241P4QPY, but it might be also out of your budget (< 300$)

Is it a idea to slowmotion film the dell 2408wfp (with 120fps) and then give the mouse a smack and see in slowmotion when the pointer responds to it?
Or do desame with mouselook ingame.

Back