• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps seem high for 5800k ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

expresso

Registered
Hi - i am fairly new to this - and need some advice on my new setup

i just put together a system with the A10 5800k - Gigabyte board 85xUP4 -
corsair 300 r case - 8 gigs of tracer memory at 1866 - i have two 140mm fans blowing in - two blowing up and out - and thinking of adding two more on the side window which has the cut out for them already

on the cooler side - i added the H20 920 antec - but i changed the fans to cougar Vortex HP fans - push and pull -

using windows 7 64 bit - and a OCZ vertex 4 SSD - two WD black for storage

now i havnt done this since my last computer - 6 years ago - on a 939 socket and DFI lanparty board -

i feel lost now and cant figure out what my Cpu temps are - in the bois when i boot up - its about 40c to 41c around there - to me that seems hot

once i am in windows - i get the antec chill software showing a liguid temp of around 38c to 40c also - seems high being just idle - i have no idea what my Cpu is - fans are on low the rear fan pulling seems like its doing nothing - only when i put it on full speed - i feel some - its quiet but not sure if its going enough -

so i put it on full speed and ran prime 95 for about a hour - it really only went up to about 42c on the chill software - thats the liquid temps -

so it didnt raise much but i still dont know what my cpu temp is - i get all kinds of reading - Easytune shows about 46 to 48c and idle at about 18c -

i think speed fan shows very close to this also - but all others show very hot numbers - i just cant figure it out - and dont know if my cooler is working good or is it the fans since i didnt put the orginals - i do have to add - that my room is above avg warmth - its pretty warm in my room - i do get alot of heat in my apt - but for arguments sake - lets leave the room out of the picture for now - can anyone tell me whats the deal with my setup ?

i didnt put the two case fans on the side window yet - looking to do that tomorrow - and see if that makes a difference - this is driving me nuts -

any help would be great - thanks - :)

Expresso, I moved your post to its own thread because the one you posted in was a completely different issue. This way, you will get more views and better responses.

42C isnt to hot but I wouldn't rely on easytune or the antec software to check temps. If you could install HW monitor and launch it while the system is at idle and then run P95 for ~15mins while its open and screen shot it that will help us alot. Also if you can post CPUz screenshots of the CPU and memory tabs that would also be helpful.

hi - ok with the antec software - its the liquid temp which shows 42C now - i have prime running - the fans are on custom but not running full speed right now -

speed fan is showing what i think is 46C - there are 3 temps and Temp 3 is the one that moves mostly when i started prime so i assume thats the one i need to watch -

Easy tune actually shows about the same as speed fan - but its a little buggy - sometimes i cant even open it -

now CPUID HWM - that one shows much higher temps - 78C 47C 80C -

now this is stock settings - 3.8 - A10 - but i dont know what is really correct -

with the antec even under prime - it wont really go about 42c liquid temp - since this is all new to me again - i feel lost - the board is a Gigabyte - 85xup4 -

which already has a new bios update in beta form - i wonder if its the board ?

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

i have those programs - but not sure how to get a screen shot of them - but i can tell you from looking at yours that you just posted in HWM - your core temps are very low compared to what mines are telling me -

but mines dosnt show Core 0 Core 1 Core 2 Core 3 etc, - just shows Core Temp now i see 48C 48C 68C -- very strange to me - let me try to get a screen shot and see if i can post them - i havnt done this in years so i am a newbie again -

what i think and hope is that since this is mostly new Hardware - this APU - processors and board etc, - FM2 Socket - may not be reading it correctly - at least thats what i am hoping - or else its disappointing to put a new system together with a 920 cooler and get these Temps - wasnt worth it -

my old setup had a danger den setup - water block 240 Rad - pump etc, - i just didnt want that in my case any more - the 920 seems very nice - compact - All in one unit - which made it appealing - but i cant blame the 920 just yet - till i can get real temp readings -

now i just went in the Bios and checked - showed on one screen 34C - then another screen showing each core at 17C - each core - maybe what i am seeing is all cores combined with the overall Temp ? if thats the case - then 80C dosnt sound as bad - that would be about 20C each core - i try to get the screen shots and post back later

i will try calling Gigabyte and Antec to ask some questions - i went into the bios and cant seem to change my Cpu settings either - should be unlocked - cant seem to change anything - must be me not doing something - at least i hope it is -

thanks

HWmonitor link here

CPU-Z link here

snipping tool can be found under accesories from start menu in windows 7.

BIOS temps are idle temps only! and they mean allmost nothing.
and
how to use snipping tool here

Last edited:
ok i did it - with the snipping tool - i got a few screen shots - but how do i upload the pictures now -

the antec shows 41C liquid temp with fans on full - since i am using Cougar fans - sound level is not bad at all - hard to say if using original fans would show lower or the same and just louder - thats what i was afraid of and just put on the Cougar fans from the start -

Attachments

• Snip 1.PNG
    Snip 1.PNG
    34.5 KB · Views: 342
  • snip 2.PNG
    snip 2.PNG
    10.5 KB · Views: 328
  • snip 3.PNG
    snip 3.PNG
    358.3 KB · Views: 361
42-50C isn't anything to worry about, especially if that's with the stock cooler. I'm messing with this old 955BE with an Arctic Freezer 7 and Prime95 likes to push it to 71-76C. I ordered a couple fans and a better heatsink for it.

i am using the antec 920 cooler - i am on the phone with them now to figure out what my temps should be etc, - i got cut off - now waiting again for tech -

Antec told me that the temps are fine - running prime - i am up to 83C if its correct and he told me he used the same chip and board and it was getting 91C in prime with overclock

my speed is stock right now at 3.8 to 4.2 - the cooler liquid temp shows 41C

i am trying to find out what my core temp really are - so many programs but all seem to show very different temps - hard to figure out whats correct - the tech asks me to run HWMonitor - which is what we are looking at - and it shows this

running prime now for about 30 mins

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 360
from what i see. either the core temp "senssor" is wrong or the bios is sending wrong data about chip core temp. not shure. are you using the latest bios?

Package temp is not quite the same as core temp. AMD may have changed the way there APUs are reporting temps. We shall have to look into this, as tengureanu suggested if your not using the latest bios(even if its beta) you probably want to update. New platforms have a tendency to have small issues like this for ~6+ months generally. We saw oddities from Llano for almost a year after it launched.

the thing with package is , that it may show diff temps,, since i got hwmon pro i only get package no more separate core temps. i used to check it woth core temp.(yes it`s beta forever but, it`s accurate + you can set it to do shut down the pc when core temp reaches say 62c).

core temp dosnt work for me at all - its even worse - less information and dosnt show my cores - with very strange readings with what it does show -

i just got off the phone with Antec and doing a replacement - since the software is not giving me a audio reading anyway - the tech told me the temps are ok with prime at that temp - someone else got the same issue with no audio reading and it was replaced - didnt hear back after the replacement

hey - i think your right about the bios - i have since been in and out of the bios half dozen times today - if not more - i am unable to make certain changes in the settings manually - but when i go to 3D bios - i am able to make the changes there - but not manually - in MIT section - i tried to do a small over clock - up to 4.4 prime failed - i even raised the volts a bit - but i am unsure what my volts are - it seems as if they keep changing -

i figure its the cool and quiet feature - and the turbo feature - i then went back in the bios and changed them disabled - but in Cpu Z i the volts moving up and down -

i though once you disabled those functions - it would be default volts - i seen it in the bios at 1.4625 - something like that - then during reboot - i went to check again - its down to 1.375 - or a bit lower - it seems very iffy at this point - i know i am not a expert - but the bios dosnt react to certain commands - either mouse or keyboard - and it has a strange message when you save and exit - it comes up saying

Save and reset ? yes or no - i hit yes thinking it was Save and Exit - which is what i clicked on - and then it didnt boot up anymore -

i had to get back in - reset - and hit F10 key - which shows Save and Exit - yes and no - thats fine -

why it shows Save and exit reset ? which i click save and exit - and when i hit f10 - its correct - i have no idea what save and exit reset means or does - but it didnt make me boot - i got a couple blue screens also - and when i change out my dvd drive -

it didnt make me boot in windows - something got messed up in the boot order - i am guessing - but why - all i did is change a dvd drive - usually you just boot up and windows finds it etc,

another thing is - my Brother all in one printer - it shows up in my device manager as a disk drive along with my hard drives ? never seen that before - they are all connected SATA - and it shows up in my bios boot order also -

not sure if that messed up my boot or not - all i know is that its very strange and i am 99% sure its the bios - board which is not working right - i see a new bios for download but its in beta form now - dont want to try it yet -

does anyone have this board and APU set up ? just to add - HWMontior showed my Cpu temps as 255C !!! which cant be right - so something is wrong for sure

i was all excited at first - now i feel let down with this FM2 etc, - i RMA my cooler - the 920 the audio function not showing up on the software - and seems a little too high temps - for the liquid it shows -

just to add i added a side fan to the case and it makes a difference - now the air thats exhasting from the cooler is much cooler air rather than warmer air - i think since its blowing in the case - the cooler fan is picking it up and pushing it in the Rad - making it cooler - the liquid temps have dropped a few C since i added it -

so right now - i put it back to stock settings in the bios -i am thinking of running AMD overdrive and see what that comes up with and leave it for now - till this bios gets fixed and someone can help me with adjusting the settings correctly for Cpu - video and memory - Volts etc, - i know for sure i am not making all the right settings on my own - i have done this about 6 years ago last time - with the DFI Lanparty board - which to me was much easier and had help from alot of people on here also back then -

now i feel lost and stupid :)

It's extremely hard to sort through all of the stuff that's going on here.
But to answer the first post, most UEFI compatible boards load the CPU up quite a bit in the BIOS - probably because it is a GUI with simple 2D CPU acceleration. I'd imagine a 50%+ load on the CPU.

No longer can you check idle temperatures in the BIOS...it heats up quick.

For your last post
I'll tackle it by line:
What's wrong with the bios?

How much are the volts moving?

Default shouldn't be 1.46v...maybe as Turbo voltage, but Turbo only.

That message is asking a simple question - do you want to save the changes you've made or revert to what was already there when you exit? Nothing weird at all.

You obviously made some settings changes that were incompatible with your current system. Either you tried to overclock something too far, you set some kind of crazy voltages, etc.

Because it saves what changes you made or doesn't... ...if you have BSODs, then there is an issue.

Change the boot order in the BIOS. All of this stuff is explained in detail and in simple language in the motherboard manual, showing all BIOS options and exactly what they mean/do.

Your printer is connected by SATA? No way. Your printer is USB, right? Does it have the ability to read SD/MMC, etc. flash memory cards? If so, then that's why it's showing up that way.

You can change your boot order in the BIOS, consult your manual for further instructions...updating the BIOS will only reset defaults, it will not specifically fix the boot order.

If your CPU temperature (TMPIN2 in HWMONITOR) is showing at 255c, ignore it. It is a false reading, and the sensor either can not be read by HWMonitor correctly or is not functioning properly. Otherwise, it would be out of working range (0-90c) and your machine wouldn't be operating correctly anyway. In HWMonitor, you should also see the temperature readout from the APU which will show regardless of what motherboard you are using, since HWMonitor accesses the APU directly in that case. If that's what you're talking about, the same one I saw at 80c(!!!) in an above screenshot, then you need to stop using your machine right away and fix the issue. Is the pump plugged in to the motherboard header, can you verify that liquid is circulating?

Why did you RMA your heatsink? You aren't running WITHOUT a heatsink are you??? O.O ...what do you mean by 920? What audio function is not showing up on what software? Your temperatures do seem extremely high.

You need to have the fan blowing into the case from the outside. The recommended orientation is straight in from the exhaust (though I prefer it exhausting from inside). How are you measuring liquid temperatures? Does the Antec liquid cooling system you have have some kind of thermometer built in?

Don't run AMD OverDrive, they do not update the program enough anymore for it to be user-friendly, and nothing in it is of use to you, it basically just conglomerates many programs into one for convenience.

hi - thanks for trying to answer all my questions - i have to say - i did not explain everything correctly - i was a bit stressed at that moment -

This is where i am at now - first all parts are new - i am not running with no cooler -
You are right about the printer issue - its using a USB port and because of memory in printer etc, - it shows up as a disk drive - i have everything connected SATA on my board and just my keyboard - mouse - printer and monitor are connected USB - HDMI in the rear -

i am using 8 gig Crucial Tracer memory DDR3 rated to 1866 - running at stock board settings of 1333 now - i will change later after i get the temps to normal -

everything seems fine now - just the temps which i think its the Antec 920 not working correctly - not pumping enough or cooling correctly etc, - after talking to Antec support - we decided it could be a bad unit - so i started the RMA - they will send me a new unit - and then after i install the new unit - i will return the old unit -

its on now - just seems very hot for stock settings and just at idle -

about the bios - i called gigabyte - and figured out how to make the changes - turns out it was my strange keyboard - i needed to use different keys to make certain changes and others worked just with the enter key and space bar etc, -

about the save and reset option - they used the Word reset instead of Exit when you use the mouse to Click it - and if you use the F10 key - it shows up save and exit -

it was a bit confusing since i was expecting just save and exit - either way - i got it now - last time i didnt boot must have been something i did prior to saving and exit -- my mistake there -

right now - i believe my issues all have to do with cooling - once i get the cooler replaced and hope its a working unit - then i can try to understand the overclocking features and what to adjust for a stable overclock - nothing too crazy - just nice to see where it can run - my main thing is to keep it cool - right now i dont think its cool at all - all the temp readers are flaky - HWM - i was told to look at Temp package - from antec support and temps were too hot for me at 84C running prime - stock speeds -etc, -

so we did the RMA - i hope to have temps in the 50c area during prime at lease with stock speeds -

Back