• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High End Gaming Laptops (17in)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent Z

Looking for High end gaming laptops. I have been out of the tech loop for about 2yrs so I came here to the pros. Looking to spend 2k-3k. My current laptop is a 15.6 inch sager and I think this time I want a 17inch screen because I end up gaming mostly just on the laptop. I need something I can run stuff like Planetside 2 on ultra/high and still get 40-60 frames. Thanks!

EDIT: upon searching around I found this post http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693378

Last edited:
Depends what it is worth to you I have single 6990m in my clevo and I am more then happy with it still on BF3 and Skyrim. and you can always upgrade it later if you need more performance.

Depends what it is worth to you I have single 6990m in my clevo and I am more then happy with it still on BF3 and Skyrim. and you can always upgrade it later if you need more performance.

That is true, my current sager has the 555m and i am starting to have performance problems on games. Wish i could just upgrade the card but it isn't available on my model. I think i will go with the single and upgrade later. Thanks for the input Scout.

On the 17" models most can overclock the cpu so keep that in mind too. I have the clevo p150hm and I can't overclock. I know the p17em (Ivy) and Hm (sandy) can overclock the cpu.

Yea i was noticing that the 17s had way more upgrade room and did not seem to have that that stupid optimus crap on it. I never use it. But yea i also like the nice eye candy backlit keyboard. I game in the dark alot so i am always angling the laptop screen down so i can see an F key or something.

If you don't use optimus/enduro why not look at the 7970m ? you could probably crossfire them for the cost of a 680m lol. Unless you just like Nvida more which I understand.

I love my MSI Force 1761 (specs in sig)

They have similar ones around now, higher numbers 1762 I think is one of em, lol.

Great cooling and everything, even at 100% on all cores the i7 2670QM doesn't reach half of its max temperature (100c)

There are the Alienwares too... but they're a lot of flash for a lot of cash... eh.

Hmm, yea i use my laptop as a portable desktop. I am always near an outlet. I will look into the 7970m and the 1762. I was looking at alienware but i think i could get more power for alot less elsewhere.

Is a desktop completely out of the question? What about having a decent gaming desktop and a cheap laptop? You've obviously not too short of cash so it could be worth looking into unless you absolutely must have something portable.

Even a high end "gaming" laptop has only the performance of a mid range desktop at best, and you have all the other disadvantages of laptops.

Is a desktop completely out of the question? What about having a decent gaming desktop and a cheap laptop? You've obviously not too short of cash so it could be worth looking into unless you absolutely must have something portable.

Even a high end "gaming" laptop has only the performance of a mid range desktop at best, and you have all the other disadvantages of laptops.

I am a programmer/web developer and do alot of sidework and also do alot of travel so i need to be able to bring my rig with me. Yea, i am finding it is really hard to find a crazy powerful laptop. I would like something that is a desktop replacement that is portable enough where it is easy to move it. I don't care about battery life at all. Just want to be able to shove it in a back pack instead of having to lug around a tower and monitor.

I am a programmer/web developer and do alot of sidework and also do alot of travel so i need to be able to bring my rig with me. Yea, i am finding it is really hard to find a crazy powerful laptop. I would like something that is a desktop replacement that is portable enough where it is easy to move it. I don't care about battery life at all. Just want to be able to shove it in a back pack instead of having to lug around a tower and monitor.

I like my clevo because since its 1080p I have lots of screen real estate to work with its 15" inch though which makes it really to carry around. Look in to the Clevo P150EM and P170EM there pretty plain looking but powerfull.

I have been lugging around a G73jh for the past year and a half. The new G75 series are nice looking and decently priced and they are powerful. Definitely check into them..

I have been lugging around a G73jh for the past year and a half. The new G75 series are nice looking and decently priced and they are powerful. Definitely check into them..

I do like the cooling on those. My sager has the exhaust coming out the left side, which is very annoying if i have my phone on the left or anything it gets fairly warm.

Whats your budget?

I would say one of these 2 would be a better choice... Due to having a 750GB HDD + 256GB SSD and still having a high end video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0323026&IsNodeId=1&name=750GB HDD + 256GB SSD

I would like to stay inthe 2-2.5k. I saw some msi ones with the 680m MSI GT Series GT70. Also i thought i read somewhere that there were laptops out now where you could actually replace the video card. Cause my current laptop that is where the bottleneck is. I would rather buy a laptop that had the capability to upgrade the card in a year or 2 and have something lower end for now.

Take a look at the Samsung Series 7 Gamer as well as MSI and Origin laptops. You do not need more than one graphics card for 1080p. I just got a Lenovo Y580 and the little GTX 660M plays games at around 70% the capacity of my desktop rig while only getting 3K in 3d Mark 11. Get a GTX 675M or a 7970M. I know the Nvidia cards overclock like monsters. My 660m is at 850 stock, it can go to 1300mhz. I do know Clevo's will give you the best option for upgrading the graphics card in the future and overclocking.

Back