• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So how am I doing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlailBoy

First OC on this platform.

I'm running my:

CPU @ 200x18~3600 @1.40v (stock)
NB, HT Link ratio at x11~2200 @1.10v (stock)
Mem at x8 (1600) - 9,9,9,24,1T @1.50v (stock)

She's blended primestable like this. Load CPU temp is good, maxed out at about 48. Idles at 31. Not even worried about the NB temp.

I think I've done my reading. If I want to get this CPU to 4ghz, max out memory performance, eventually I'll want to up my NB (& HT Link) to about x13 and at about 1.20-1.25v.

C-3 stepping so I might be able to get there w/o any more CPU voltage. Temps are good, solid PSU, so no problem with another +.025v if it helps stability.

Right?

Last edited:
Just a quick idea Bro while your waiting for the AMD Guru's to show up? You could get your monitor programs ready I.E. Realtemps,CPU-Z, HWMONITOR, Because these are what they want to see posted. Before they are willing to give advice on your Overclock Bro! ;)

So please post them now ready for later on regards. AJ. :thup:

Right ?

First OC on this platform.

I'm running my:

CPU @ 200x18~3600 @1.40v (stock)
NB, HT Link ratio at x11~2200 @1.10v (stock)
Mem at x8 (1600) - 9,9,9,24,1T @1.50v (stock)

She's blended primestable like this. Load CPU temp is good, maxed out at about 48. Idles at 31. Not even worried about the NB temp.

I think I've done my reading. If I want to get this CPU to 4ghz, max out memory performance, eventually I'll want to up my NB (& HT Link) to about x13 and at about 1.20-1.25v.

C-3 stepping so I might be able to get there w/o any more CPU voltage. Temps are good, solid PSU, so no problem with another +.025v if it helps stability.

Right?

Yep !

As Ajay57 was referring to...

...on the order as below. Gets us all on the same page and not having to sort thru software we don't see everyday and most of us will not see other software since I actually monitor my stuff with the same stuff we recommend.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much. Of course beginning with a setting that is 'known' to pass P95 Blend mode makes good sense, because a failed P95 Blend test is not going to give a baseline of a configuration that 'does' work.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Just a quick idea Bro while your waiting for the AMD Guru's to show up? You could get your monitor programs ready I.E. Realtemps,CPU-Z, HWMONITOR, Because these are what they want to see posted. Before they are willing to give advice on your Overclock Bro! ;)

So please post them now ready for later on regards. AJ. :thup:

You got it. This after about 1 1/2 hrs prime, no errors:

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    18.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    16.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 103
Flailboy, you probably have "core unlocker" enabled. Beacuse you have a BE CPU that comes unlocked, you do not need to have it enabled. That is probably why you are not seeing temps on your cores. Disable it so we can see the core temps under load.

Flailboy, you probably have "core unlocker" enabled. Beacuse you have a BE CPU that comes unlocked, you do not need to have it enabled. That is probably why you are not seeing temps on your cores. Disable it so we can see the core temps under load.

Oops. I didn't even notice that. I was toggling that setting back and forth in the BIOS because for a while I didn't know if I needed it on this CPU. Didn't seem to matter so I left it on. I'll turn it back off and update the screenshot tonight.

Ok here's the new screenshot:

Using AS-5 btw.

I also have not yet disabled cool-n-quiet. So far, so good. This rig is really quiet. Makes less noise w/ 5x120mm than my last one did with 2x. If I run into heat issues, I'll turn it off. But for now...it's so choice... :D

And one more question-I have two values in the BIOS I can change: NB voltage and CPU VID NB.

When I start upping the multi further, which one do I use?

Thx in advance for all the help, guys. :thup:

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 94
I would leave the CPU V Core as is and bump the cpu nb vid to 1.2. Then put the multi to 18.5 and stress it, keep upping the multi after every stress test until it fails. Every chip is different but I was able to get my 955be to 4.0 24/7 stable on 1.4 cpu v. You may want to up the NB Frequency to 2400 also.

I would leave the CPU V Core as is and bump the cpu nb vid to 1.2. Then put the multi to 18.5 and stress it, keep upping the multi after every stress test until it fails. Every chip is different but I was able to get my 955be to 4.0 24/7 stable on 1.4 cpu v. You may want to up the NB Frequency to 2400 also.

Pretty much the plan. I was going to leave the Vcore at 1.40 until it errored out. From what I've read, I might be fine up to 4.0 Ghz.

I was also figuring on maybe having to up the NB Frequency to 2600 to get the CPU to 4.0 Ghz, and to get the most out of my RAM.

I also set the HT Link Frequency to 2200 because I already have the NB Frequency there and because I have 16gb RAM. I now (sort of...) understand that there are minimal gains, and a possible disadvantage, to setting it any higher for a CPU overclock. Wasn't going to push it any further, just figured I'd sync it for now.

Here's a screenshot. These are not my current settings, I just found a screenshot of my BIOS.

So I adjust my NB (CPU/NB) voltage using option B?

Attachments

• BIOS.png
    BIOS.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I believe it is that one, on my asus board it is called CPU/NB Voltage. IDK if changing your HT Link speed will affect the stability. I never raised it on my 955 and I was able to get it to 4.3 with the NB Frequency at 2600 2 hr prime stable. Though that was on water with 1.51 V on the CPU I don't think you'll get close to that with the EVO. I did have mine stable at 4.0 for a while with a 212+ the EVO's predecessor.

I believe it is that one,

LOL Sorry man...

Is 'that one' A or B?

I understand that it is the CPU/NB that controls this, but I don't know what the nomenclature is in this BIOS. And as I understand it, the HT Link will have no real advantages on stability and can in fact hurt my CPU OC if set too high (still really new at this platform). I think I'm safe here, though.

Last edited:
So I adjust my NB (CPU/NB) voltage using option B?
I believe it is that one
So yes I think it is option B but not 100% certain. :)

As far as the HT Link, I am no expert and am still learning. There are plenty of others here that have more expertise with these cpu's that could answer you better. It's all trial and error, try leaving it where it is and go for the 4.0. Lower it if you find instability. Furthermore, if you do start finding instability, if you have 4 sticks of 4g ram you may try pulling 2 out. More sticks = more stress on the IMC, which may cause instability.

option b is the one you want to tinker.
on my 965 i run about 2600 cpu/nb freq. and 2400 htt.

Back