• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8320 vs 8350 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rescuetoaster

Hey folks,

So the 8320 is now on sale at MC for 160, which is really freaking tempting. I've held off for a while to see if the 8320's overclocking potential was similar to the 8120 where they would reach similar, if not exactly the same, overclocking compared to their better binned brothers. I can't seem to find much on that though. So, anyone here have an 8320? How has your OC been?

What's the Diff?

Hey Bro sorry this is the best i could find at this time, but you can book mark this post and play around! With the settings while waiting for the AMD Guru's to answer you question, but it looks. Like 6 of one or half dozen of the other Bro. AJ. :) :thup:

1, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/698?vs=697

This is all I am going to say. FX processors have been ALL over the map. Not like 3 or 4 years ago when looking for a batch might bring out the 'golden' chip.

I think that AMD has gotten their binning process to the point that the top of the line FX chip is somewhat better than its' lesser bretheren.

Is that maybe somewhat better worth the money? Only an individual can decide that when he rolls the dice for his cpu.

I cant speak for the 8350 but my 8320 will do 4.8Ghz 24/7 stable on ~1.475v and 5.05Ghz at 1.55v. From the architecture standpoint the limits should be the same for both chips, but the 8320 might require an extra vCore bump to get equal stability. Likely the hold up will be module that likes to error.

Last edited:
1.75v would kill the chip pretty quick like. :D

8320 in theory should be more leaky than 8350 and therefore have greater overclock success, but the 8350 is binned for higher speed too. They probably all OC about the same, logistically a crapshoot.

If 8320s are similar to 8350s, you'll be fine.

I'm managing 4.5 without a voltage change. Just change the multiplier and I was off to the races.

From what I heard 8320 can top out at 4.8GHz, the 8350 can get to 5.0GHz.

Dropping my custom loop's block onto either chip let me bench them and pass IBT at 5.09~ GHz, the only distinction was the 8320 required an additional voltage bump at this frequency.

Really I don't think they are all that different, anything beyond 4.6 is for giggles anyways :shrug:

Well, this more or less answered my question. Thanks folks.

I'll probably pick up the 8320 after xmas.

Well, this more or less answered my question. Thanks folks.

I'll probably pick up the 8320 after xmas.

Are you buying it to replace that golden 960 you have in your siggy? I'm not too sure you'll notice a very large performance jump between the two :(

I currently own 2 8320s and a 8350. From these 3 chips i can say without a doubt my 8350 clocks much better. Im currently running P95 at 4615 mhz at 1.4vcore on my 8350, and im over 4 hours in so far.

Out of my 8320s, i got one dud that wont do much over 4400 without 1.5+ core, and my other clocks to 4.6 at 1.465 under load and will not go higher without dropping core 7 under P95.

I have not pushed this 8350 over 4.8 at 1.45 as 4.6 has allowed me all the performance i need, im just trying to lower the volts to get the volts down.

Its pretty much a gamble with any chips O/C, and both the 8320s were bought at launch so idk what binning AMD did. If you are running a SLI/CFX rig on high res/120hz or need the max out of it for benching\HPC then the 8350 would be my recommendation. Anything other than that the 8320 will serve just fine. While i understand everybody loves running everything at max, 5ghz+ serves no real use, and this is comming from a guy who ran his 2500k at [email protected] for 5 months :eek:.

Back