• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Security Camera DVR System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Immortal_Hero

I am looking to set up a security camera system on the exterior of my home. The basic requirements are 4 low light cameras (they can be assisted with motion lights if needed) and a way to record the video when they are activated. I need them to be motion activated, however having the option to have them run solid would be nice. I'd like the cameras to be wireless as running data cable to a few of the locations will be difficult. I also need a DVR of some sort. I prefer a software based DVR that I can host on a server and connect to the cameras via wireless networking (not sure this exists). What are my options? Am I dreaming with the wireless?

I won't state a budget because I want to explore my options. I want to do it right but not spend a fortune either. This doesn't have to be a boxed system I am open to buying individual components.

Edit: I am a software developer so I am open to writing a software based DVR as well... :D

Last edited:
I am looking to set up a security camera system on the exterior of my home. The basic requirements are 4 low light cameras (they can be assisted with motion lights if needed) and a way to record the video when they are activated. I need them to be motion activated, however having the option to have them run solid would be nice. I'd like the cameras to be wireless as running data cable to a few of the locations will be difficult. I also need a DVR of some sort. I prefer a software based DVR that I can host on a server and connect to the cameras via wireless networking (not sure this exists). What are my options? Am I dreaming with the wireless?

I won't state a budget because I want to explore my options. I want to do it right but not spend a fortune either. This doesn't have to be a boxed system I am open to buying individual components.

Edit: I am a software developer so I am open to writing a software based DVR as well... :D

First off, stay away from wireless, for one they're not wireless... Still need power! :rolleyes: Two, wireless can be jammed very easily. All the features you are seeking are all part of the DVR. Home camera systems are not that sophisticated, and can be bought at Costco or BJ's and is what I recommend. They come equipped with either a 500 gig, 1TB or 2TB drive. Lines of resolution is important to since these are not HD. Its all analog. I like to stay with 540 lines, anything higher would mean more cost. 700 TV lines I believe is the maximum. The camera's that come with these units are CMOS and ussually 420 TV lines. CCD/540 Lines would be a better choice, but are more money. It is good to get the system first, then start upgrading your camera's down the line.. Its nice to be a programmer, but why re-invent the wheel? Hope this helps..

+1 on Costco Q-see kits. Just make sure it's at least full time D1 30fps on all 4 channels recording AND playback for the DVR (i believe my model is the QT504). The 4 channel one my cousin got only supports CIF and it's pretty bad (QT454 i think). Like what 10X, you can always upgrade the cameras to ones from Axis or another quality brand.

Back