• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help figuring out howto dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8, two separate drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

civiltribe

I see a lot of guides mention creating a partition but it seems like they're dual booting from the same drive?

What I did was unplug my W7 drive, installed W8 on a new SSD as a new installation, then replugged my W7 drive. I'm not seeing a multiboot screen when I load so I assume I messed up not following the partition and custom installation (windows upgrade?) choice

What can I do to either get a multiboot screen, or reinstall windows 8 properly so that I get an option of which hard drive to boot from..

I would imagine the multiboot screen is a tad easier than selecting from the bios every time
I assume I need to reinstall windows 8? how would I go about that properly and reinstall it the correct way?

Because you unplugged the drive it wouldnt recognize it/load that bootloader for W7. You should have kept the W7 drive plugged in and then installed W8 and you would have that option.

I just did that a couple days ago.

Yeah so I guess I'll have to reinstall it, would the reinstall option under the custom settings in windows 8 allow me to do this properly and would that give me the option to do a clean install or can I do an upgrade at this point since I don't want to lose all the settings I just configured.

One of the guides I was reading for installing recommended unplugging the W7 drive but I guess they weren't interested in dual booting.

I have to imagine reinstall would work, I have never done it. There may be an application that allows you to do it without a reinstall. I know W7 had one, but not sure if it works in W8 (and dont remember the name sadly, sorry).

You can use either DualBootPro or EasyBCD to edit the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) store, both of which are shareware. There's also freeware available, like Vsual BCD Editor, that you can use to accomplish the same thing.

EasyBCD is freeware for personal use, not shareware.

You need to scroll down to where it says 'Register' then use any info for Name / Email to access Free version of EasyBCD.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Attachments

• EasyBCD.jpg
    EasyBCD.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 98
I had a problem getting Windows 8 to boot with EasyBCD

"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file"

Any idea how I may resolve this? Thanks

yea winload.exe
I believe stop status is 0xc0000428 but i was having some other boot issues that I resolved so that may have been a diff issue.. either way yeah that's the issue with loading windows 8 through EasyBCD

Back