• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for OC on a G34 proc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
Hey guys,

I have seen screen shots that have been validated for an overclock on various G34 systems.

I have not ever seen which motherboards they are using. Are they doing straight up software overclocking? Or does anyone know of a motherboard that does bios overclocking?

That may be helpful in some way... but doesnt help answer his question really. From what I have just looked up, it seems so far, that only software will do it. What combo of boards and software though, no idea. :)

If you don't have any data, it's generally better not to post and confuse the issue.
A list of motherboards tells him absolutely nothing, nor does it do even the tiniest amount to answer the questions in the OP.

I've seen a few of those chips OC'd, I think most of them were via SetFSB (software htref changes) or something similar.

Maybe data enough...

...I think one would be accurate by 97% in saying the G34 boards do not overclock except with software. That 3% is reserved for some ES processors on a few boards and some SuperMicro motherboards with modded bios. I am not sure if ES processors are accepted in F@H. I have seen a bias against them in doing this search. It seems that K10Stat was only overclocking a single core of the 'many' core cpus.

Then I came across this statement that seems to back-up what I just glimpsed many g00gle searchs back. "And yes some Opterons are overclockable with a custom bios if you have a Supermicro board. I have my 6128s overclocked to 2.4Ghz from the stock 2.0Ghz." The back-up statement I refer to is some SuperMicro boards can be overclocked about 12.5% if a modified bios is used.

Then following links that "shelter" had mentioned when I found that above, I came to a 56 page thread that is linked below. Because I have no intention of building such a rig, I only read some 6 pages of the thread. TONS of information. I DID come across a blurb about [H] being the place to look for the modded bios for certain SuperMicro mobos.

If you are serious about such a build the link below is like something out of a how to cookbook. I experienced some sensory overload. Almost like years ago when I went to 2cpu dot com, which does little nowdays; compared to yesteryear, when I checked about a year ago.

Building a 2P/4P; From Start To Finish - Along with PPD Benchmarks & Gallery

Thanks for that! I will definitely check that out... and for the record I actually did quite a bit of searching befor posting. I dug up setuff about using turionpowercontrol for overclocking... looked promising

If I get it going I will make a thread

I dug up setuff about using turionpowercontrol for overclocking... looked promising

If I get it going I will make a thread

I think TPC for overclocking does work for some of the boards. I was really interested from my perspective if it was ever doable from bios. Seems so if using the right board and modded bios.

They look awesome for real work for sure. When that bug bites, get the pocket book out. Hehehe. Luck man.

Back