• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible ram issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkclock

Registered
I recently purchased new ram for my ASUS K50ID laptop that can support up 8 gbs of ram. I received a blue screen once i installed the ram and booted it up for the first time, so i thought well maybe i didn't install it correctly. I opened up the back of the laptop and made sure the ram was install properly and it was working fine, so i was like yes everything works.

But now over two days of installing new ram i have had one bluescreen memory dump error and i have also had youtube freeze like something inside my computer froze for sec. I was thinking that maybe this ram is bad?

the ram i purchased for upgrade is here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

here is what crucial says that is compilable with my laptop that i went by.
PBrFx.jpg

I am going to run a memtest86+ test later today, but do you think the ram is causing this error? It seems like hardware issue to me. The funny thing is if it is in fact the ram it works fine, but has minor hiccups id say.

I also recently replace my laptop battery from eBay maybe that is causing error? Is there away to single things out to see what is the main cause of the errors all the sudden?

Let me know what you recommend me doing! Thanks!

On the Asus site, under the spec's for that laptop, it shows DDR3-1066 (DDR3-1066 = PC3-8500). In the pic. you posted, it lists Memory Type as PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333) and PC3-8500, which means to me that Corsair thinks DDR3-1333 is compatible w/ that unit. So my guess is the G.Skill RAM you purchased isn't compatible like Crucial suggests, because of the higher than rated DRAM frequency of the modules. The first thing to do is either boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive or CD/DVD, or if running Vista or Win7 run the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic utility to check for stability.

On the Asus site, under the spec's for that laptop, it shows DDR3-1066 (DDR3-1066 = PC3-8500). In the pic. you posted, it lists Memory Type as PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333) and PC3-8500, which means to me that Corsair thinks DDR3-1333 is compatible w/ that unit. So my guess is the G.Skill RAM you purchased isn't compatible like Crucial suggests, because of the higher than rated DRAM frequency of the modules. The first thing to do is either boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive or CD/DVD, or if running Vista or Win7 run the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic utility to check for stability.

Hmm if it isn't compatible and the memory test goes alright would it still be safe to keep the ram? Ill post results when i get chance to test the laptop, since Im been quite busy with finals.

Note: The packaging of the g.Skill ram says DDR3-1333 PC3-10600
4096MB CL9-9-9-24

thanks for the fast reply..

If the modules test OK, then I don't see a problem w/ keeping them. You can check the current frequency when you start Memtest, or by opening CPU-Z to the Memory tab in Windows.

If the modules test OK, then I don't see a problem w/ keeping them. You can check the current frequency when you start Memtest, or by opening CPU-Z to the Memory tab in Windows.

Kool well i hope it goes ok. I was going to tell you also when i opened up cpuz when i installed the ram the first time. The memoy tab was grayed out and Cpuz didn't have any information about the ram? I did find this odd from the start. Any reason why that is?

Probably a compatibility issue w/ CPU-Z, but you'll still be able to veiw the current freq. and timings in Memtest.

Probably a compatibility issue w/ CPU-Z, but you'll still be able to veiw the current freq. and timings in Memtest.

I successfully ran two passes through memory test with my laptop and it came up with no errors! :) Now i am still wondering what was the overall cause of the hardware issue if it wasn't the newly installed ram? Its hard to describe the problem but it happen on Youtube and using the eclipse program for java developing.

When i opened you tube the video froze and the words were like robot talkign very slow. It could be just firefox, i suppose once i think about it. I still not sure why i got memory dump bluescreen if the ram is fine? Could my new battery replacement have any cause to this problem? I also I had display driver problem recently, but i updated the latest nivida 320m card.

You have any idea or any further tests i could conduct to see if all my hardware is ok in this laptop?

I'd try just one 4GB module at a time.

Did you get the exact same memory in the pictures, that is, memory made with chips marked as Hynix, grade H9C? If so, it should be fine because they're Hynix and not some mystery brand, and they're rated H9 speed, meaning they're officially rated for 1333 MHz and not overclocked, unlike some other G.Skill memory.

2 passes isn't enough to show that the memory is OK because some people have had to run for 8-12 hours before seeing errors reported. Test longer and also with both Gold Memory and Microsoft's memory (included with Windows Vista, 7, and probably 8) because even the best diagnostics miss errors. One person found nothing after days of testing with MemTest86+, then Gold Memory reported a bad bit in under an hour an hour and 16 minutes; however almost 10 hours passed before it found that bad bit again.

Last edited:
I'd try just one 4GB module at a time.

Did you get the exact same memory in the pictures, that is, memory made with chips marked as Hynix, grade H9C? If so, it should be fine because they're Hynix and not some mystery brand, and they're rated H9 speed, meaning they're officially rated for 1333 MHz and not overclocked, unlike some other G.Skill memory.

2 passes isn't enough to show that the memory is OK because some people have had to run for 8-12 hours before seeing errors reported. Test longer and also with both Gold Memory and Microsoft's memory (included with Windows Vista, 7, and probably 8) because even the best diagnostics miss errors. One person found nothing after days of testing with MemTest86+, then Gold Memory reported a bad bit in under an hour; however almost 10 hours passed before it found that bad bit again.

Yup the memory i purchased is on the newegg link im not sure if that is Hynix or not? It is offical g.skill ram so i am assuming it is. I might have to test for longer period of time. I ran a memtest yesterday night and came up with two passes with 0 errors, but i still receiving random hardware freezes.

Like for example last night i was on game trailers watching a reivew for ps3 game and all the sudden my computer just freezes with the freezing sound effect through the speaker and i waited a good 30 secs and it refreashed its self and started working again. This type of hardware freeze i am thinking might be the ram.

I noted before when i first install this g.skill ram for the first time i received a blue screen right away, so maybe it is compatible with my system, but it has minor flaws? I reinstalled the ram and it seem to be working, but i still received minor hardware freezes and one blue screen in the course of time. MemoryDump. I am still not fully sure if this ram is working perfectly, but i will conduct a longer memory test once i get some time and no longer need my laptop for class.

Yup the memory i purchased is on the newegg link im not sure if that is Hynix or not? It is offical g.skill ram so i am assuming it is.
I'm sorry it's official G.Skill. :D Those NewEgg pictures are sharp enough to let you read the markings when magnified, but I've seen pictures of other SO-DIMM G.Skill where the chips had no chip maker markings, just "G.SKILL" printed on them. What chips you get varies with the batch, but I once bought a cheap 2GB Patriot DDR2, expecting to get the same no-name chips shown in the Newegg picture, but I received Hynix marked chips.

I'm sorry it's official G.Skill. :D Those NewEgg pictures are sharp enough to let you read the markings when magnified, but I've seen pictures of other SO-DIMM G.Skill where the chips had no chip maker markings, just "G.SKILL" printed on them. What chips you get varies with the batch, but I once bought a cheap 2GB Patriot DDR2, expecting to get the same no-name chips shown in the Newegg picture, but I received Hynix marked chips.

Yeah i am hoping it is Hynix ram. I have experience a bad hardware issue my laptop does a hardware freeze and it takes a little bit for control alt delete to get it out of the frozen state. I reverted my laptop back with system restore and i haven't had any issues until i decided to watch a pretty high quality flash video and it seems like its having hard time rendering the video. I received a hardware freeze after viewing this video for lets say about 30 secs. I checked my graphics card drive, but it seems to be ok. Do you think the ram could be causing this? I haven't had time to test the ram for good amount of time, but for now do you think the ram is the problem?

Back