• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chaintech 7njl6 bios? usb boot error?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

so im trying to isntall linux on this desktop that uses the 7njl6 motherboard....but i dont have any good cd burners around since they have died on me and suck quite hard. smashed them too (i guess that's what i get for buying those cheap 10 dollar drives. to bad that ten will never come back.)

anyway, im trying to boot the Xubuntu installer of the USB drive. unfortunately, i keep getting usb error. i decided to look around for a bios update on the itnernet and found that chaintech went out of biz. well thats a grand shame.

does anyone know where i can get a bios update for the "Chaintech 7NJL6"? i see a bunch of them when i google...but i dont trust them because i feel something bad may happen. sorry, but i get like this when i am low on parts and funds.

if none of you can help me, i understand. and i am sorry for wasting precious space on the forums drives with this thread.

With the chaintech website gone for a number of years, I have not seen any bios download that did not look suspicious in nature. Well certainly not like a motherboard download site. Not knowing the one you have by date or Rev number, it is not really possible to know if you might find a later one than your current one. Sorry man.

worked like a charm!

apparantly....the date seems to still be the same. and i still get "boot error" when booting from usb

but sir, thank you. your answers makes me wish i could mail you a hug.

Last edited:
Most of those older mobos had to have a Usb stick that is formatted and recognized as an HDD. Otherwise the older boards, I seem to remember, would not recognize the Usb stick.

Most of those older mobos had to have a Usb stick that is formatted and recognized as an HDD. Otherwise the older boards, I seem to remember, would not recognize the Usb stick.

i have an Intel D815EEA2 motherboard that can boot from ANY usb stick just fine.

the CHAINTECH 7Njl6 is being as stubborn as a donkey when it tries to boot from usb.

EDIT: tried using plop boot manager. worked at first then started to screw up. so i restarted and now it keeps freezing before i could even start. so thats that. might as well go for pxe and if that dosent work, just save teh board for later (throw it in the oven. FOR FUN.)

i do have the biostar M7-VIG 400 laying around...but its I/O pattern dosent match teh built in shield. i dont know if i stil have the shield for the biostar board either...

Last edited:
I had, well think I still have, an NF2 type board that would not boot from a Usb stick unless it was plugged into a powered Usb hub. I never did figure that one out. Just used the hub, so I know some of the Usb booting can be a problem.

I had, well think I still have, an NF2 type board that would not boot from a Usb stick unless it was plugged into a powered Usb hub. I never did figure that one out. Just used the hub, so I know some of the Usb booting can be a problem.

reading that makes me think that maybe JUST MAYBE the NF2 usb ports werent able to supply enough power. i think ill check that out...

Back