• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3970x?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

What is this?

I thought the 3960x was the top of the Sandy Bridge Extreme line?

Apparently not?

I found it while poking around for cheap E5620s, the last part I need for my build.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=I7-3970XBX

Apparently released in Q4 2012. What are the differences between the 3960x and 3970x? .2 ghz faster clock speed, appears, and a 4.0 (Omg! First intel processor to get to 4 GhZ stock!) turbo boost. Is that all?

Has anyone tried it yet? Experiences? New any computer parts really intriuge me.

I believe that's it. Neither the 3960 or 3970 have any significant advantages over the 3930k. Especially not the extra $500.

Interesting. Well, at least Intel didn't pull an Intel and charge an additional $500 ontop of the 3960x's price for that extra .2 performance =P

They usually do that, the 980X was the top of the line last generation until the 990X came out a year later. Only difference is that they bumped the stock multiplier by one for a 130MHz increase.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/52585,47932

Looks like the same thing with the 3960X vs the 3970X:

Basically some people just see that there's a new CPU and are all like zOMG MUST BUY...just more profits for Intel.

Interesting. Well, at least Intel didn't pull an Intel and charge an additional $500 ontop of the 3960x's price for that extra .2 performance =P

They don't do that thankfully, they also don't drop the price on the X processors more than like $25. The i7 975x was an
unlocked multi quad with HT on s1366 and it was $1000 when the 980x came it then it dropped to $975. It was by far inferior but the X is what you pay for.

Haha I saw these being advertised.. What in the world?

I'll stick to my 3930k, its already stupidly excessive =\

My 3930K at only 4GHz is a monster. Seriously destroys everything. No need for further OCing for me currently.

My 3930K at only 4GHz is a monster. Seriously destroys everything. No need for further OCing for me currently.

Aye, there's only one or two purposes where having mine above 4.4GHz is needed for anything. It does give me some giggles to run it at this frequency along with a decently low voltage and temp, though :D These 3960 and 3970 parts are absurd, can't believe a 200MHz increase and a bit more cache warrents a 480 buck price jacking. Bah :rain:

Aye, there's only one or two purposes where having mine above 4.4GHz is needed for anything. It does give me some giggles to run it at this frequency along with a decently low voltage and temp, though :D These 3960 and 3970 parts are absurd, can't believe a 200MHz increase and a bit more cache warrents a 480 buck price jacking. Bah :rain:

With all six cores at 4.0, its already over a 20% speed increase as turbo boost is only one core out of the box. I'm still at essentially stock voltage prime small FFT 24 hours stable.

With all six cores at 4.0, its already over a 20% speed increase as turbo boost is only one core out of the box. I'm still at essentially stock voltage prime small FFT 24 hours stable.

Aye, I saw your voltage-- You got a good chip there :D How far have you pushed it? I have a substantial enough cooling solution now to push for 5GHz..but I don't know if I will. Something just makes me happy about where I have it atm :attn:

That, and as EarthDog knows, I'm a sissy when it comes to breaking that 1.4v barrier :(

Yes, one core 3.8, two cores, 3.7, 3 cores 3.6, four cores 3.5, five core 3.4, six cores 3.3GHz. Its a Sandybridge with Turbo2.0. Not sure why it would be different...

You may want to check some reviews on that...

Yes, one core 3.8, two cores, 3.7, 3 cores 3.6, four cores 3.5, five core 3.4, six cores 3.3GHz. Its a Sandybridge with Turbo2.0. Not sure why it would be different...

You may want to check some reviews on that...

Well then I'm mistaken then. It's still 20% increase on all six cores. 3.3 vs 4.0

Back