• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Urgent, M5A78M-LX Plus, FX8120 @ 3.8Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok guys I know that time and time again I have told people NOT to even consider putting an FX 8core onto one of these budget, old chipset motherboards, but I acquired this cheap and was hoping to swap the CPU out for something with a lower TDP...

Anyway I used this motherboard to bench the 8120 previously while in my garage on a very cold night with tons of giant fans and oversized WC gear @ 5.4Ghz. Now its in the case, the WB is mounted, and were on normal ambient temps. I have modified the VRM with a heatsink and fan to keep it cool since its only rated for 95W. The temps on the VRM do not get out of hand at all and stay at ~50C now.

Ok so heres the issue, at 3.8Ghz if I fire up P95 or F@H the system goes into OCP within 1 minute. There appears to be an option to disable OCP but its tied in with "Anti Surge Protection". So the question becomes if I disable this option so I can circumvent OCP how likely is it that the mosfets can send a voltage surge down the pipe and kill it? If the odds are good then Ill leave it on and just downclock this chip until I find either a more suitable CPU or MOBO.

I am thinking that continued use of the high current draw of the cpu will get the board anyway. We 'fuse' just about everything electrically connected. To remove OCP is just like lettting the current draw rise as high as it will and without the benefit of a 'fuse' for protection.

All that I expect you to be fully aware. The Asus Surge Protection seems 'more' aimed at wonky power supplies and power supply induced surges of electrical power. Not onboard induced power surge. If you have a good power supply, you could likely do what is required to remove the OCP fuse and test the survibability of the mobo when powering the FX-8120. IMOO.

if your going to disable ocp on a 95w board and run that dinosaur juice sucking pig above 4.0 i really what to hear what happens.

I see what you are working on in the other thread and it is great work.
so we can wait a while to see this board added to the "bone pile".

Last edited:
I am probably going to do this, but right now Im in the middle of another round of testing and cant afford to risk it ATM.

Back