• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED i5 speedstep voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2950

just quick question bout intel speedstep, even tho its enabled when i manually set the voltage it stays constant at 1.36 but when on auto its 1.15 but jumps to 1.46 on load. in terms of energy saving and cpu lifespan which would be better? manual constant 1.36 (maybe 1.37 not sure yet) or auto at 1.15-1.46

Neither will cause your CPU to have a noticeably shorter lifespan, but since the majority of the time, your CPU won't need the extra volts (checking email, browsing,...), there's no sense in running it at a constant 1.46

Same thing applies. Either way, you won't be hurting anything, but the Speedstep technology was put in place to decrease stress on parts. If your CPU doesn't need the extra voltage when doing menial task, why give it?

thats what i thought but 1.46 is way more voltage than it needs under load. why doesn't speedstep drop the voltage when you manually set it? so it wud run at 1.15 normally then 1.35 under load

I think different LLC options will change how much it drops or raises. The higher your LLC setting (1-5 usually), the less fluctuation.

its an asus p8p67 and the options are regular- medium- high - ultra high- and extreme. that voltage was on extreme but anything above regular increases voltage

if i manually change offest at all (lowest number i can put in 0.005) it crashes when booting into windows

i5 2500k
4803 mhz @ 1.36v (manual) or 1.46 (auto)
bclk 102.2
x47 multiplier

p8p67 mobo, 8gb vengance ram 1635mhz, hyper 212 evo cooler, ocz 700w psu, sapphire hd7850, 500gb hdd

Assuming you used the 4.8GHz overclock profile because of the 102 BCLK x 47, lower the BCLK to 100 w/ the mult. at x48. Adjust the Vcore to 1.35V w/ a negative offset of -0.015 to -0.025, LLC = Ultra high, EIST and C1E enabled, C3 and C6 Reports disabled, CPU Current Capability = 140%, Spread Spectrum = Disabled, Phase and Duty Control = Extreme, VRM Freq. = 350, and Internal PLL = Enabled

the 102.2 i set because any higher and my ram dont like it. didnt use a 4.8 profile.
dont think i can set the vcore as well as a negative offset. if its in offset mode i can change the -0.015 but the vcore sets to auto and if i manually set the vcore offset voltage isnt available

We're looking to achieve a ~1.35V Vcore under load using a offset voltage of -0.015 to -0.025. And lower the BCLK back to 100 w/ the DRAM freq. set to DDR3-1600.

still have a problem with the negative offset if i change it at all it crashes when booting into windows

You'll just have to play w/ offset voltage, but leave LLC set to Ultra high. I'd start by lowering the clock to around 4.5GHz w/ that offset, then work your way up from there.

Back