• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning Out my PC first time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

haroon158

Registered
Ok so I built my PC like 5 months go. And I haven't opened it up since but I really want to clean it out.

But I don't know what to use.

Obviously not a vacuum cleaner. People have suggested that I use compressed air. But where do I buy it? Also in the supermarkets near me they dont sell compressed air. I looked online and there was a few but I read a few reviews but they said they spray out a little liquid. Can anyone suggest me some good products?

I will be buying online if someone can suggest me otherwise.

I also live in the UK too so :p.

a vacuum is ok, just use it sparingly and watch out for static electricity.i generally use a vacuum for certain areas of the case and non-static sensitive areas. besides that i also use my breath to blow out certain areas; be careful not to spit a bunch of mucous all over stuff. a can of compressed air is usually found at an electronics store and cost $4 -$8 and can last for several cleanings. I use it sparingly (with a desk fan to blow away any dust the canned air loosens) and you MUST use it with the can UP RIGHT or you will run the chance of some liquid squirting out; that's what the little straw is for, can UPRIGHT and use the little straw to bend around and direct the air.

after 6 months, unless you have a dog/cat or live in a dusty area... the case might not be too bad. I externally vacuum my case every 2 weeks, internally clean it every other month.

I use my shop vac, it's got a suction, and I can swap the hose to a blow. Works great, and no chance of luquid. it's a 1gal shop vac, the blowing is the reason why I got it, it was like $40 at home depot, and I figured the cost was worth it since 1 can of air is like $10.
i blow the stuff lose, and vac out the bottom without changing very little.

Office Supply businesses, such as Office Max, or Wally World (Walmart), etc. have canned compressed gas dusters (technically, they do not contain air). I like the brand Fry's electronics sells best of the ones I tried because it maintains pressure longest before the refrigeration effect of the expanding gas cools the liquid inside too much to allow evaporation. The spitting liquid you heard about happens when the can is tipped too far from vertical; the fuller the can, the less you can tip it. As long as you keep the can vertical, it isn't a problem. The "soda straw" that comes with the cans will allow you to get into most places inside a case without tipping the can. The "straw" can be held in a bent position if needed.

And alternative to canned "air" is a blower like this one:

31IYJt%2B5NiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don't let the name Metro Vacuum scare you off; this unit is a blower, not a vacuum. I've been considering it because canned "air" gets expensive fast but I haven't decided yet if I want to deal with a power cord and hunting for a place to plug it in. I've also dropped some serious shekels recently on other "toys" (such as a wireless color laser printer) and just hate to spend anymore so soon. Maybe after I use up the 2 1/4 cans I still have (I buy them in three packs)...

A couple of cautions about using any compressed gas of any kind:

Do not let it spin your fans. Doing so can over rev them, causing damage. Use something nonconductive (an extra "soda straw" for example) to keep the fans from roating while your "hose them down".

Wear eye protection. 'Nuff said.

Back