• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fluid help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Knight51

Registered
I'm having trouble on weather to use distilled water or deionized water.
Which one is better to use? And is it necessary to autoclave which everyone I decide to use?

Distilled if you can find it, deionized is fine if cant find distilled. A month after using either, they will be very similar in your loop, both will have metal ions in them. Not to mention some deionized water is made starting with distilled.

No point in trying to sterilize the water, your components will have plenty of contaminants in them, hence you need to use some type of antimicrobial, PT nuke, PT phn, etc.

Doesn't matter. Distilled or deionized, will get worse as soon as it touches your loop. Just use one of those waters, with no additives, and only with a silver coil to kill little bugs.

Whichever type they sell at the nearest convenience / grocery store is fine. The only consideration is you will need some sort of anti microbial additive. I use DeadWater which is just a copper sulfate solution. 2 drops in my loop and its go time! Silver coils are another option. Both Copper and Silver have great anti microbial properties. I prefer not having to wait for the silver to dissolve into the water to be protected so I use CuSO4 drops.

Doesn't matter. Distilled or deionized, will get worse as soon as it touches your loop. Just use one of those waters, with no additives, and only with a silver coil to kill little bugs.

Think for the advice, I was actually thinking of using the silver kill coil, I forgot to purchase it.... would it be ok to setup my rig say on Tuesday and Wednesday and have it running until I get the kill coil ?

If your system gets overrun with bacteria or algae in less than a week you have a serious problem(IE its pretty unlikely). I wouldn't stress on the situation just add your biocide ASAP.

If your system gets overrun with bacteria or algae in less than a week you have a serious problem(IE its pretty unlikely). I wouldn't stress on the situation just add your biocide ASAP.

I see, thanks everyone, I'll purchase my silver coil today

I did see it happen here where the OP waits 2 weeks? or so. Became a mess, the uglies had already started to grow.

DI is easy to get in the USA and many other countries. Very common in Hudifiers for babies etc.

For some reason it's not readily availible in the UK. Best bet is find what folks use in humidfiers.

The reason we and the humidifiers use it is all the hard minerals have been removed that can cause build up. Like a old dripping faucet has that 'scale' on it where the water drips. Just like a cave and a stalagmite.

That's pretty much the only reason. When I first began C years ago, I even went to the point of boiling the water and letting it cool. I don't do that anymore. But I do have a glass measuring cup, I put in the microwave and boil water in it to sterilize it before using it it to fill my loop.

As soon as the loop is kinda bumped and bled, I right away add my biocide, or already have the killcoil (silver) in the loop of course.

I being old school use PHN Nuke and killcoils. Never had an ussue, ever. Deadwater is the same BTW.

I did see it happen here where the OP waits 2 weeks? or so. Became a mess, the uglies had already started to grow.

DI is easy to get in the USA and many other countries. Very common in Hudifiers for babies etc.

For some reason it's not readily availible in the UK. Best bet is find what folks use in humidfiers.

The reason we and the humidifiers use it is all the hard minerals have been removed that can cause build up. Like a old dripping faucet has that 'scale' on it where the water drips. Just like a cave and a stalagmite.

That's pretty much the only reason. When I first began C years ago, I even went to the point of boiling the water and letting it cool. I don't do that anymore. But I do have a glass measuring cup, I put in the microwave and boil water in it to sterilize it before using it it to fill my loop.

As soon as the loop is kinda bumped and bled, I right away add my biocide, or already have the killcoil (silver) in the loop of course.

I being old school use PHN Nuke and killcoils. Never had an ussue, ever. Deadwater is the same BTW.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about microwaving distilled water also, saw it on mysthbusters haha, and yeah I'll wait till my coil comes before I setup

I've been a little laxed about the water quality thing. I got a little fed up when some of the 'Ultra Pure' waters were coming out for $8/L, etc.

In spirit of science I filled my son's system with filtered tap water coming straight out of my refrigerator with a filter that had already expired.

Only thing I did was add two drops of PTnuke.

It has been almost two years now and that loop looks perfectly fine from what I can tell.

I need to start bottling up this Klamath Falls Tap and give it some Nano Ultra Frigidaire Super Klamath Fallsy name of sorts. I could be rich!...lol

Anyhow, I wouldn't recommend tap like I'm testing, but I more than pleased with a drop of PTnuke in anything distilled or dionized.

I think the copper and brass contact itself is somewhat of a natural biocide. That is where brass door knobs and the like came from, they have germacidal benefits naturally. Still a bit skeptical on the silver coils myself and prefer the old school PTnuke CU..:) Bought a bottle 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

Back