• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Diffrence mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killerp8

Registered
Hi guys im gettin a 2nd 6850 soon for realy cheap so i'm going to crossfire it but i need a new motherboard for it..

If i get the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 i can get some faster ram ( 1866 ) with it aswel.
Or i can get a ASUS Sabertooth 990fx with out faster ram

So im asking is the sabertooth 990fx realy worth it over the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 970 chipset? and is it faster with fps etc?

I'm only planning to crossfire 2 cards and not more in the future so i dont need the 3th pci slot

Edit my system atm:

Amd fx 6100 @ 3.9ghz [ scythe nugen rev 3 cpu cooler ]
Msi 760 gsm-e51 fx mobo
4gb patroit 1333 ram
1TB wd black
Sapphire 6850
750w ocz psu

Last edited:
How about a less gimmicky 990fx board than the sabertooth?

Is it realy needed to geta 990fx? i can find one cheaper than sabertooth the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-D3 but is it worth the extra money?

The sabertooth is 140 euro's this one is 113 euros and the 970 i posted is only 80 euro.

does it realy make a diffrence?

yeah that thermal armor is rather silly, you need to put a tiny buzzing fan on it cool the components that are overheating because they are covered by plastic.

how about not covering them up to begin with?

edit:

just checked, that sabertooth version doesn't have the thermal armor.

Acording to the website im looking at it says that the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 has 2 PCIe x16 2.0 slots? doesnt that mean thats all i need for crossfire?

the wiki says that they both run at 8x on the 970 chipset though.

considering your running multiple gpu's you may notice an small increase in performance with a 990fx chipset.

the wiki says that they both run at 8x on the 970 chipset though.

considering your running multiple gpu's you may notice an small increase in performance with a 990fx chipset.

Okay thanks for the help, im stil looking around for a 990fx cheap

ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 is this a good mobo its 120 euros

My bad thats a 990X

----------------------

The GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-D3 is pretty cheap to any thoughts about it?

Last edited:
Honestly do not know, but what you have there is a good solid motherboard to use! As for the X/fire bridge you can buy or sometime there is one comes with the card.

P.S. Just double checked yes there is one shown with the box, just have a look yourself?

Last edited:
Honestly do not know, but what you have there is a good solid motherboard to use! As for the X/fire bridge you can buy or sometime there is one comes with the card.

Ok thanks! from reviews i only see it has SLI bridge :/ i have my crossfire bridge from my sapphire 6850 but i'm not sure if its long enough becouse of the gap bewteen the 2 x16 slots :O

Last edited:
I saw one in the Newegg post with the box and accessories with the Manuel etc!

I saw one in the Newegg post with the box and accessories with the Manuel etc!

That picture with box, sata cables, audio cables, manual?

That's an SLI bridge but i think my own bridge is long enough.. wel i will found out soon haha

Well enjoy your choice and check if you need to up date the BIOS before you start installing your OS etc! Best regards AJ. See you later.

Well enjoy your choice and check if you need to up date the BIOS before you start installing your OS etc! Best regards AJ. See you later.
Just a note, you can update your mobo/GPU bios after an OS installation without affecting the OS. :thup:

Back