• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX :: Stability issue ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mubeen

Hi all,
I have AMD FX-6300 installed on "ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX" mainboard.
During some high work load (floating point calculations e.g. LinX benchmark) the stability of system becomes an issue, (benchmarks starts giving warnings and errors).
Below you can see an snapshot of the HW Monitor.

test1.png
http://s17.postimage.org/ii3sw5gfz/test1.png

The temperature of a mainboard part is above 135°C, which is I suppose either unrealistic, or might be now the mainboard is damaged :mad:

Some overclockers in CPU section told me to get heatsinks for this poor mainboard but I don't know what kind of heatsinks (either fanless or with fan)/ specific for this mainboard should I buy.

Expert users are kindly requested to give some hints.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
System:
AMD FX-6300 (3.8 GHz).
ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX (NB: AMD 760G, SB:- AMD SB710)
500GB HDD Samsung.
2x4GB Micron RAM.

Cannot see what speed cpu is running but it likely does not really matter since overall the situation is likely as below.

1. ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX motherboard would actually n0t be on any list of mine for use with FX-series processor.

2. No heatsinks on VRMs regulating voltage to the cpu.

3. Looks like 4+1 power phases to the cpu which is proving out not enough for the FX processors when pushed. LIn-X is pushing the cpu since it is a stress tester. You try Prime 95 Blend mode and it will ikely fail in less than 30 seconds. Lin-x is not as 'stressy' as P95 Blend.

4. With many of the geeks now beginning to believe that even some 890 chipset boards do not 'completely and fully' do all that an FX processor is capable of, I doubt seriously that older 7xx chipset is fully up to the task.

5. So yes the board will run with an FX processor in it. Run doing daily mundane tasks, IF the case has excellent cooling. But stress testing the board is likely not a thing that is best advised since it will surely uncover the shortcomings.

Which motherboard (suitable for FX-6300) is then "bang for the buck"?
At the time of purchase I wasn't much aware of the problem attached to this MB, neither there is much said about it on any forum. However, at Amazon this ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX is priced at 45€.
I can resale this mainboard, and can buy a better one IF the better one is priced under 70€. I searched for 980G based mainboards, but found nothing.
------------------------------------------------------------
System:
AMD FX-6300 (3.8 GHz).
ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX; NB: AMD 760G, SB:- AMD SB710.
500GB HDD (Samsung).
2x4GB DDR3 1333 RAM (Micron)

Because AMD has gone "heavily" into APU systems there are nO 9xx boards with onboard video competing with their APUs. None.

Back