• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Never used liquid. Does this stuff look compatable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1vh1

I am building a new computer as my current one is acting funny after a power short. It is due for replacement anyway as it's 5 years old.

I am looking to OC this time around, but I have never played with liquid cooling. I'd like to give it a shot with one of these premade h80's. I figured I would ask if all of this looks comparable before I started ordering everything.

Does this case, mobo, processer, and cooler all look compatable? Feel free to comment on anything else about the build as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($247.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $993.28
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-12 17:50 EST-0500)

1v Welcome, what are your plans for the system? Are you planning on Oc'ing it? Are you planning on getting another hard drive for storage or is the SSD going to be the only drive? I would get the ASrock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard over the chosen one. If you are gaming with it the I5-3570k would be my choice and put the savings from the I7 towards a 7950 or 7970 gpu.

1v Welcome, what are your plans for the system? Are you planning on Oc'ing it? Are you planning on getting another hard drive for storage or is the SSD going to be the only drive? I would get the ASrock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard over the chosen one. If you are gaming with it the I5-3570k would be my choice and put the savings from the I7 towards a 7950 or 7970 gpu.

I was hoping for it to be a jack of all trades of sorts.

I do play games, but only on one monitor, so I figured I wouldn't need much more than the 7870.

It will mostly be used for photo editing for hobby, CPU intensive calculations and some minor 3d rendering for work. I already have Terabytes of space in external hard drives that I use for storage.

I am planning to OC. That's why I went with an H80, hopefully I can get to 4.5GHz and still be very stabe.

Thank you.

For what you stated, I would stick with your original build minus the motherboard. Your overclock will only be as good as the board. I feel you will be better served if you choose the one I posted. Many people here have used it with success. Also, you may want to do some searches on reviews on that cooler. Some air coolers may be just as good, though that's more of a personal choice for you.

Last edited:
We have a WC forum for specific WC questions once the basic parts are figured out.

Ohh, just an H80? It's as good and less reliable than a top air cooler.

If temps matter then get the H100i if it fits in your case.

The H80 is not magic, it's gets no better results than top air coolers. It has it's benefits tho, looks good and doesn't get in the way of memory slots.

It's an AOI unit, no complexities, just the same as air cooling. But has a higher failure rate than a top air cooler. A cheap AIO (H80) has many moving parts vs none on a top air cooler.

We have posts that cover the full spectrum here, your welcome to read them and decide.

Last edited:
We have a WC forum for specific WC questions once the basic parts are figured out.

Ohh, just an H80? It's as good and less reliable than a top air cooler.

If temps matter then get the H100i if it fits in your case.

The H80 is not magic, it's gets no better results than top air coolers. It has it's benefits tho, looks good and doesn't get in the way of memory slots.

It's an AOI unit, no complexities, just the same as air cooling. But has a higher failure rate than a top air cooler. A cheap AIO (H80) has many moving parts vs none on a top air cooler.

We have posts that cover the full spectrum here, your welcome to read them and decide.

Would you recommend a Havik 140 over the H80?

My decision would be based on a few things. First would be how hard you want to push the overclock on the I7. You stated 4.5ghz, I do believe that you should be able to achieve those clocks with an air cooler. The Havik is a good cooler and from what I have read it should be good enough for you to get to 4.5 ghz. If you aren't going to be satisfied with 4.5 and are going to really try to squeeze as much performance out of the chip that you can, you are better off getting an H 100 then the H80. With that said the H 80 is fine for the 4.5 clock you stated also. You just need to take into account what Conumdrum said about reliability. The only real issue with an Air cooler is fan life, which really isn't an issue. I have never had a fan die on any of my PC's and my coolermaster 212 + has had the stock fan running on it approximately 10 hours a day for the last 4 years. The H series coolers have more parts that can go wrong.

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Back