• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5A99FX PRO R2 no boot device

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sigma71

Registered
Cannot access bios. Does not recognize keyboard. I get screen that says hit del or F2 to enter Bios. No boot device light on mobo is on. I have tried a known good win7 boot disk and a USB stick with win7 on it. I am down to bare minimum of things connected. I updated bios to lasted version. That did not help.

Mobo M5A99FX pro r 2
CPU FX-8350
2- 4 gig gskill DDR31600

Rest CMOS. Verified keyboard works. Tried mem ok switch. Tried different USB ports.

Yes in 2.0 slots tried different ones.

Sorry posted before I saw yours.

Try taking all but one memory stick out and try each stick in turn.

I tried that. Booting with either stick, one at a time did not help.
I am confused, why it does not see keyboard, and why it does not just boot from USB stick or cd. I tried USB stick and cd on another computer. Computer booted right to both.

You didn't try to reset the CMOS while there was still power to the motherboard, did you?

Make sure you remove all other USB devices.

You cannot really tell from many user reveiws just exactly what is 'going on' with a motherboard but the last I heard that 'n0t' booting and having to RMA has been an issue for some with that motherboard. I would get moving with an RMA, likely where you bought it.

Thought about that. But don't have one. May have to see if someone has one.

You cannot really tell from many user reveiws just exactly what is 'going on' with a motherboard but the last I heard that 'n0t' booting and having to RMA has been an issue for some with that motherboard. I would get moving with an RMA, likely where you bought it.

Yes, now that you mention it RGonster, there have been some similar problems reported with that motherboard. It's a new revision of a tried and true and very popular Asus product.

If I cannot get this working, what would you folks suggest for a good midrange board that would have the proper bios for the FX-8350.

Sigma71 honestly after seeing all the users come thru the forum here and many just want a set of numbers given to them to overclock by...I do not feel you are that user. I would say since you bought at 3 positons down from the top CHV-z board, that you tend not to cheap out. I don't know what the heck is wrong with your "Pro" version but have seen a number a the EGG and elsewhere having boot up issues initially and they have to RMA. I would move up at least the 'one' level to the board linked below. It is $30.00 more than your "Pro" model but I honestly have not see issues with it like you are now having with your board.

I think any of the R2.0 boards will boot the Vishera/PileDriver cpu, but there are already a number of bios updates after Vishera release. Are "all" the updates related to Vishera, that is nearly impossible to know from the Bios ReadMe.

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Win8 Ready, TUF 5 Yrs Warranty, NEW DIGI+ Power

Thanks for the thorough reply. I guess I will send this one back and order the sabertooth990. Just seemed that most of the more expensive board just had more ports and wasn't something I really needed.

Thanks for the thorough reply. I guess I will send this one back and order the sabertooth990. Just seemed that most of the more expensive board just had more ports and wasn't something I really needed.

Even in the mobo business, I begin to think that if you get any 'extra' quality it comes from the higher price. Heck yes there are 990FX Sabertooth failures. The crap is made by men and there will be failures.

I thought it was just a batch of mobos from the Egg that were bad, but the user reviews at the EGG tend to show it still happening with the "pro" board. So maybe it is a slightly off design that if the tolerances are not met just so, then there is a bad board produced in the 'pro' type/model. I really don't know. I should think an RMA for even another 'pro' might work out. For my money, I just don't do that usually. By the time they charge me to send the board back because WE pay the shipping back to the EGG...well one shipping charge back is about half the cost of the better mobo.

I rma'd my board and ordered the sabertooth. Updating the bios is easy with asus flashback and USB stick. No boot is necessary.

New motherboard helped a lot. Booted right up. Next problem, finding my win 7 product key.

Back