• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boxing Day Prep

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zebucity

Registered
Yo, I'm new and my name is Zebucity but you can call me Zeb.

I have OC'ed before.

I currently have a unlocked BE B55 at 3.8 and I am looking for a Boxing Day Upgrade as a reward for graduating University.

Info for those who would like to help;

Looking to OC = Yes
Upgradeable = Yes
Best Bang 4 Buck = Yes
AMD = Yes

I would like to use the FX-8350 for my starting point.
I am currently learning, from the information you guys put up, about power phasing so I can pick the correct mobo for my cpu OC.

I'm looking for advice and links if you'd be so kind. I have not built a system since 2009. I am excited to upgrade as well! My gtx 260 has been OC'ed to 731core and 1153mem running at 45C off load for 4 years XD!

I am also interested in knowing why the AMD motherboards don't have PCI Express 3.0 support...

I have been looking at this link: http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database#post_12462681

The Fatal1ty FX990 with a 12+2 is the instant noob go to because of the big numbers, but that is why I must learn, and learn.

To make the right decision is my end goal.
To achieve an AMD system with awesome power.
Magnificent power.
Stunning Power.
Sensational Power.

Adjectives :attn:

p.s. I'm listening to Meatloaf at the time of this posting.

-Zeb

Last edited:
The Asus Sabertooth or Crosshair boards will give you a better overclock than the Fatality. I'm no expert on motherboard architecture but I can tell you the way ASRock figures the 12+2 powerphase on the Fatality board is different than the way Asus rates their power phase and the result is that the ASRock board, though not a bad board, is inferior to the two Asus boards I mentioned. The ASRock 12+2 power phase rating is a little bit smoke and mirrors. I would not hesitate to say that there is no question that the Sabertooth and Crosshair boards are the only ones that have proven to really stand up well to the power demands of the high end BD and PD CPUs in the high overclocking ranges.

I would also tell you not to plan on cooling the that CPU with anything less than the Corsair H100. A custom water loop would be even better. Don't even think about air cooling or bargain basement water cooling. Make sure you get a quality case with lots of fans for good ventilation.

I can't answer your question about why AMD hasn't incorporated PCI-e 3.0 yet but do you really think you will be needing that much band width? I think that may be one of those things that entices those who are unaware to buy new tech products who don't realize there isn't a lot of substance to it. It's like SATA III compared to SATA II conventional hard drives. You won't notice a real world difference.

Last edited:
Should soon have some first-hand information on the "Fatal1ty FX990" as a good friend just bought one. I think he was putting it together with an FX-4170 last night. WE wanted to know how the Fatal1ty FX990 would do and he is just a sucker for punishment. Hehehe. He already has a 990FX Sabertooth and a CHV so he should be able to know what appears to be what. Or at least a better clue than he and I have had before. He is on schedule to get an 8 Core FX shortly but not real soon for the OP to know about FX 8 core and Fatal1ty FX990.

I have an FX-8350 in the mail to me as I type, but it will be running on my CHV 'non-Z' model. I have seen plenty of reviews of the FX-8350 on the newer CHV-z and the non-z and the cpu works well in both situations.

All of that out of the way, the advice 'trents' gave to OP is not off-base at all. There is just some more information soon to be floating around.

RGone...ster.

Oh my gawd. I am waiting on captures before I post up about the Fatal1ty FX990 motherbaord my bud installed last night. When I get the images...then will post up his 'estimation by experience' of that board. NOT good.

Alright thanks for the info fellas. I am interested in learn more about PCI express 3.0. I was under the impression that it was the end all be all of the next generation of gpus and with out a 3.0 board/cpu your pc would be unable to stand up to the new generation. However from what you have said, and the limited information I have read, it appears that the 3.0 hardware out doesn't touch the bandwidth capabilities and it almost seems like a gimmick for people to move over to Intel to get the 3.0 boards.

Do you really see a difference when using a 3.0 gpu with a 3.0 slot, over a 3.0 in a 2.0 slot?

What you say sounds close to correct. If you go back 6 mos or so or maybe a little longer you will see tons of posts about PCIe 3.0 on Intel boards that said they were compatible with 3.0 but that does not mean they run 3.0.

From testing I have seen when they were digging into 3.0 they results did not make me jump up and down over 3.0. Not at all. Been a few months back so it is not a hot topic any longer and most get AMD if they want AMD and Intel if they want Intel regardless of 3.0.

EDIT:
This is what I was referring to about Intel and PCIe 3.0. This is about the shortest summary I have seen in months.
Yes, you have to buy a Intel CPU, if you want to use PCI-E 3.0. Vishera is launched yesterday, and there is NO new chipset from AMD. So nothing changed since the last time, and also will not change until 2013. (Q2?)

But be careful with Intel!

Core ix S-2011 alias Sandy-Bridge-E have NO PCI-E 3.0. They only have PCI-E 2.0. A lot of people write wrong things about the desktop version!!!

Only the SB-E Xeons and the IvyBridge S1155 i5&i7 CPUs have PCI-E 3.0 The IB i3 have also only PCI-E 2.0

And you also have to look very careful after the mainboard. There are also lots of Motherboards, that only support PCI-E 2.0...

So not so easy to get PCI-E 3.0
END EDIT.

Last edited:
There will probably come a day when GPUs and systems can take advantage of PCI-e 3.0 but we are not there yet I'm guessing.

I absolutely LOVE my 8350 and my formula Z board !

currently running at 4.5 at the moment with my H80i at 46c load. Have not had a chance to push it more and play with voltages. I am hoping for 4.8-5, but as mentioned you might need a h100/i to get that.

I spent almost a month reading posts on here and a couple other forums before I pulled the trigger.

I absolutely LOVE my 8350 and my formula Z board !

currently running at 4.5 at the moment with my H80i at 46c load. Have not had a chance to push it more and play with voltages. I am hoping for 4.8-5, but as mentioned you might need a h100/i to get that.

I spent almost a month reading posts on here and a couple other forums before I pulled the trigger.

I ordered my CHV and 3days later the CHV-z came out. Started to send the CHV back for the Z but decided against it. No sense in paying another $15 or $16 dollars to get the CHV-z since I would be paying the shipping.

FX-8350 came in the mail today and cleaned my water-block and put the 8350 in and am running Lin-x at 5.02Ghz with 1.51Vcore at the moment. I had an FX-8120 that would do 4.8 for sure and if I pushed it 4.9Ghz stable but even with my good cooling I could not get 5.0Ghz Lin-x stable at 1.6Vcore. So looks like I may get my 5.0Ghz with about 0.04 less Vcore than even my 4.8Ghz on FX-8120 since it took 1.55VCore for that speed.

I likely will settle on 4.6 or 4.7Ghz since I can drop the voltage to cpu some and see if my video rendering is any faster.

Nothing like a CHV board and maybe a 990FX Sabertooth. They rock. Of course any can fail. Heck men make the things. But for general goodness that short of failure >> well goodness is just about a given.

RGone...ster.

just got some real clocking in on my asrock "fat lady" pro board.
after haveing a nightmare of a time getting it sorted out, bios issues.
It's a pretty darn good board with my 4170.
an 8120 is on the way soon so i will wait to find that fun out.
next in the socket is a 965be.

caddi, I'll be interested in seeing how that Fatality performs as it typically gets negative press. I'd like to see ASRock step up to the plate in a bigger way for competition's sake in the enthusiast realm.

Trents, my chv-f is a below average chv, my sabertooth is above average.
in out and out mhz the fatlady tops them both but, i fear it is due to skewed temp sensors on the fatlady because i know that the 4170 as a 4 core is a heater above 5.0. the fatlady gives temps 10-15c lower than either of the asus boards but the rad outlet air is still aroung 80f.
so that makes it a little iffy.
I am impressed with it at it's price point that i am going to keep it even though i don't really need it.
the biggest hit it takes is over it being the "flagship", if I was the head of asrock someones rump would be wearing my boot print.

my old fx 8120 that ran away from home and got itself lost has now got itself a gps and will be wending its way home in a week or two so i will be able to really torture the fatlady and at the same time add some more heat the the basement.

my old fx 8120 that ran away from home and got itself lost has now got itself a gps and will be wending its way home in a week or two so i will be able to really torture the fatlady and at the same time add some more heat the the basement.

Is that why the GPS in my phone keeps beeping at me? Hehehe. RGone...ster. :bang head

I'm posting to give closure to this thread.

I have purchased a FX-8350, Gigabyte UD5, SanDisk Extreme 120GB, and an AzzA Hurrican 2000 case as a foundation for a future build that will have the following;

Asus 7850
2x Intel 520 240GB SSD Raid
Corsair K90 keyboard
Corsair M60 Mouse
G.Skill Sniper Series 2x8GB DDR3-1866

After I buy these, I swear I wont spend another dime...:facepalm:

The current build is running on aftermarket air with the CPU at 13 degrees off load and 35 degrees under Prime95 load.

Sounds good man. Let us know how you like it after it is built and got it going strong.
RGone...

I'm posting to give closure to this thread.

I have purchased a FX-8350, Gigabyte UD5, SanDisk Extreme 120GB, and an AzzA Hurrican 2000 case as a foundation for a future build that will have the following;

Asus 7850
2x Intel 520 240GB SSD Raid
Corsair K90 keyboard
Corsair M60 Mouse
G.Skill Sniper Series 2x8GB DDR3-1866

After I buy these, I swear I wont spend another dime...:facepalm:

The current build is running on aftermarket air with the CPU at 13 degrees off load and 35 degrees under Prime95 load.

Back