• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7770 Xfire 16,4???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elcid79

Hello everyone. I just purchased a new pc.

GA-970a-ud3, AMD-8350 processor, AMD 7770 1gb video, ViperIII 8gb 9 (2x4gb) @ 1866. Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply.

My question, is down the road, when the inevitable outpacing of my system begins to happen, will it be possible to pick up another 7770 FX card and increase my performance. This MB is Xfire capable but only in 16x, 4x... How big of a performance hit will this cause? (obviously I could buy a new MB a year or two from now also, but if the difference is minimal I might as well just buy a new 7770)

Thanks in advance!

J

I wouldn't think that the performance hit is much at all. There were some good links to scaling tests using much more demanding cards in SLi/Crossfire kicking around but I can't find them.

For what it's worth though, I run my 7850 in my PCI-e 2.0 X4 slot just because I can. I see a tiny (could just be a margin of error thing) measurable change in some frame rates however it's not even remotely close to being noticeable. Edit: I'm not sure how much more or less data needs to move for 7770's in Crossfire though, so somebody else will probably pick that up.

Thanks. I will stick with this build then. I was concidering changing and getting a better mainboard, but it would just add another 50-100 bucks. I kinda need to stop here, before I blow way to much money.

Back