• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximus IV Extreme - Can't change BCLK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeepBeep2

If thread needs to be moved to intel section that's okay.

Board came back from RMA with 3603 BIOS on both chips...
SuperPi/Pifast performance seemed okay. Efficiency wasn't spectacular, but that might be my fault.

wPrime was absolutely horrible on both my XP and Win 7 OSes so...
Used BIOS flashback to flash 1901 to the 2nd BIOS chip, now I can't change BCLK.

I never could change BCLK in Windows on 3603 either.

I've tried reflashing/CLR CMOS too and it still won't work.

Any ideas?

Setting 104 MHz in BIOS results in 100 flat :(

I couldn't change it in Windows before on the 3603 bios, but it did work in the bios. Now with the 1901 bios I can't change BCLK, it just doesn't apply. Multipliers work up to 57, but I need to be able to change BCLK because 57x won't boot to windows and 56x will.

MEI installed in Windows?
No, but the problem starts as soon as it POSTs, MEI wasn't installed in Windows before but I wasn't using AI Suite, I was using ROG Connect :(

In BIOS I can't change bclk after reverting the BIOS from Ivy compatible to Sandy only, I assume something is not overwriting in the Intel Management Engine crap.

I'm gonna try to get a hold of ASUS and see what's up.

Try MEI, if that doesn't help its the board.
One of my MVG boards does the exact same thing

Talked to a guy at ASUS.

He confirmed the issue has to deal with Intel Management Engine being corrupt on the BIOS chip because of the downgrade. I guess this isn't normally overwritten except on special occasions like when the Ivy Bridge BIOS was released.

I was told I have to talk to ASUS RMA to fix the problem. :(

It might just be easier for me to buy another BIOS chip >< maybe it would help to have a few laying around.

Read me the numbers off it, I can probably get blank chips from digikey, flash them, and mail 'em too you cheaper than buying them from Asus.

EDIT:
Or you could buy a chip or three and put the blank chips in, then flash via ROG Connect. Flashing a blank chip should overwrite everything. Assuming the IME is stored on the bios chip.

They would use a goofy semi-proprietary IC. Damnit Asus/ECS.

EDIT:
Some digging around shows that flashrom and work on the thing. If you have access to a Bus Pirate you might try flashing with that rather than the Asus tool.
It can clear the chip out and leave it blank at the very least.

Yeah.
Then I was dumb enough to flash the other BIOS...

I'm gonna try to download or torrent the latest version AFUEFI from AMI and see if I can force update all this stuff.

this is ROG board so try to force flash it via rog connect usb port, put BIOS on thumbdrive with good format like for your board should be m4e.rom ( I can be wrong ) ... restart board and hold that weird looking button next to black usb till led start to blink , then wait some time and it should or stop to glow or restart automatically
sometimes you have to repeat it 2-3 times ( at least I had to on MVG )

That's maybe weird but the same happened to my MVG yesterday.
All started from 55 errors on any memory above standard 1333-1600 ratios and I couldn't even boot with XMP on higher clocked kits.
I've used ROG flash to update it to newer version but so far it's even worse as now it's locked at x35 cpu ratio.
Will fight some more with this board ...

Thanks for link BeepBeep. I found some time at work to check it and so far it's working. I just reflashed all BIOS to latest version.
CPU ratio is working but I have only one 1600 memory kit here so will check that later at home.

Last edited:
That's maybe weird but the same happened to my MVG yesterday.
All started from 55 errors on any memory above standard 1333-1600 ratios and I couldn't even boot with XMP on higher clocked kits.
I've used ROG flash to update it to newer version but so far it's even worse as now it's locked at x35 cpu ratio.
Will fight some more with this board ...

Thanks for link BeepBeep. I found some time at work to check it and so far it's working. I just reflashed all BIOS to latest version.
CPU ratio is working but I have only one 1600 memory kit here so will check that later at home.

The 35x multi is a known issue. Check out the thread over at KPC forums.

Back