• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth it to upgrade for SATA3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CTGT2005

I recently picked up a pair of 120GB Hyper X 3K SSD's on cyber monday. I had hoped to pair them up in a RAID 0 array. The problem, my motherboard only supports SATA2. Ultimately I will be doing a complete overhaul within the next year and want to avoid redundant expenses.

Debating between 3 options
1. Just bite the bullet and go Z77/i5 3570K
2. Replace just mobo/ram with 990FX board (stepping stone upgrade)
3. Live with older SATA2 interface until Haswell this summer.

Is not having the newer SATA interface likely to cripple the performance of these drives under real world conditions?

Thank you for your input.

System:
AMD Phenom II X4 925 @ 3.7ghz
Gigabyte M57SLI-S4
2x GTX260's

bite the bullet and go with option 1 besides getting sata3 and usb3 you will be getting a intel cpu huge upgrade in my book from anything AMD currently has to offer.
as far as sata2 vs sata3 for the ssds you will defiantly see the difference,
the drives on sata3 will be twice as fast,as far as if you will see the difference other then boot time will depend on what you doing with them.

Last edited:
Sata2 will cut performance in half on that ssd. Raid0 will bring it back ti what one drive should be.

SATA3 gets you a lot more throughput sure, but remember that the biggest boost you get from SSDs comes from the near-zero random access time. That is part of the deal even with SATA1.

SATA3 gets you a lot more throughput sure, but remember that the biggest boost you get from SSDs comes from the near-zero random access time. That is part of the deal even with SATA1.

QFT.

If you're fine with gaming performance for now, I'd just wait until Haswell. If you're starting to get annoyed at your FPS, then upgrade.

Id probably wait, although a new motherboard is not that expensive. If your intending to upgrade to haswell or grab an ivy when the prices drop Id wait. If there's some random chance you might buy a Vishera chip and stay on the AMD bandwagon for another generation Id get the motherboard.

Your going to get a lower sustained read/write(50%) on SATA2 ports but realistically even a sata2 SSD will smoke a hard drive.

Back