• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

golem174

Hey guys! I hope this is the right forum section for my question!
Ok so here it is...

I overclocked my phII x4 965 BE from 3.4ghz to 3.8ghz today, using my 212 hyper evo from CM (you probably all know what that is). I've been running prime95 for about 50 minutes now, and I'm at about 40c-44c. I know these are the right temps, but my real problem is voltage. I've been reading posts in the forums most people say they had to take the voltage up to achieve the 3.8ghz. I didn't. I undervolted my cpu by 0,050V, and it is still stable! (for now) I was wondering if that was okay, if there was a problem with that... (HWmonitor says CPU Vcore 1.296V). Oh and by the way, all I did to overclock was take the multiplier from 17 to 19!

Thank you!

No problem at all. Lowing voltages won't hurt hardware. Too much voltage can, but not too little.
As long as it can run prime95 for a while without issues, you're set.
Or of course, you can keep pushing :D

Okay... well I was just wondering, because other people say they can't have the
CPU at 3.8 without a voltage of under 1.4.... so I was wondering if I was looking at the right thing in HWmonitor haha!
Thanks for the quick reply btw!
Do you mind if I post a screenshot of my HWmonitor ? Just to be sure

Every CPU is different, some won't get to 3.8 on air at all, others do it and less than stock volts.

Post away!

Eh, I posted it on imageshack so I could link it.. so here it is!
overclock.png

It's kind of blury (I know it doesn't show, but you can right click and open in a new tab), but you can see HWmonitor, and the cpu clock is at 3817.12 Mhz
Also, if you look closely, on HWmonitor is says CPU Vcore 1.296, but it also says max 3.360... what the hell ?

Picture doesn't work for me.
Plus I will move this to the amd cpu section for you.

To see the picture, you have to right click the little icon and click open in a new tab! If it doesn't work, I'll try re posting

I can't see that paperclip.. There's only a smiley then the curved arrows :(
Is there a way I can program it ?

Here it is, my account was not activated, I can upload pictures now

Attachments

• Overclock.png
    Overclock.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 38
Please expand the Temperatures line on HWMonitor so we can see what CPU socket and mobo temps are like. Your vore is showing so low in HWMontor because you are getting "vdroop", i.e. voltage fall off under load. If you have a bios setting called LLC (Load Line Calibration) you can compensate for that.

Here it is, I took the voltage settings back to normal... because when I started a game I ran into a problem.. my computer almost crashed. Now it seems stable, but here it is anyway! I still think my Vcore is low though! And how do I know if I have LLC ? Thanks for the help by the way :)

Attachments

• overclock2.png
    overclock2.png
    135 KB · Views: 33
Golem, we need the temps under load, also can you please post them individually so us old guys can actually read them. Thanks :)

Golem, we need the temps under load, also can you please post them individually so us old guys can actually read them. Thanks :)

Ditto. Golem, what I wanted was for you to run the stress test again with the temperature lines expanded. I guess I should have bee more specific. Idle temps don't do us much good except to sometimes indicate that a cooler is not properly seated or the TIM (thermal interface material) has been improperly applied or if ambient temps are unsually high. And if you have HWMonitor open on the desktop before you start the stress test it will give idle temps anyway in the "Min" column.

Back