• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe vs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I bought my dad a Studio 17 laptop about 4 years ago. It's slowing down, and since it has two HDD bays, I want to get him an SSD.

In my three laptops (XPS 15 fully loaded, and Lenovo T410 and T420 also fully loaded with all the goodies) I have the Chronos Deluxe 240GB.

Now, he doesn't need 240GB because he has two bays, and the second bay will have a 7200RPM HDD, for storage, so the SSD will be only for the OS, proggies and an occasional game. The important thing is it won't be a bottleneck anymore, and things will load very fast, as i know from personal experience (my load time from OFF and pushing the button went from 1.5 mins to under 20 seconds to full operating status when I changed to the Chronos.

Do, my question is.. Should I bother with the Deluxe? Or can I get him the 120GB Chronos (it's under $80 now, or $150 for the 240GB model, whereas the Deluxe is $120 and $199 respectively on newegg.ca (I'm in Canada).

Or perhaps a different model altogether? I still have the original Intel G2 80GB that I run in my rig just for OS and games (in my desktop), I suppose I could give him that and buy this one for myself, what do you guys think?

I love the Chronos Deluxe it has transformed my laptops, even if they are top of the line already, but his is not 4-5 years old, with a dual core Intel proc, from that era (well before the i3 and i5, i dont' remember now, I'm at work).

So, will the 80GB Intel do? The Chronos? Or do I have to get the deluxe or maybe another company altogether?

Thank you. Looking for 120GB but will settle for more or less depending on sales and how good it is. I usually buy everything Samsung, but haven't even seen anything from them, even though they are probably the ones that make these internals, lol, or Sandisk.

Any help would be appreciated. links as well, I want to buy is asap so it gets to me. Hopefully you can help me out with some meaningful responses by this afternoon (say, 6 hours from this moment), when I get home, I want to buy it right away.

I have a T500 of similar vintage. I went with a 256GB Crucial M4. There were two thoughts driving this choice: The SSD will likely outlast the Thinkpad and I can put it in my next laptop. The M4 seems to have a good reputation for reliability.

I'm not sure that the drive is operating faster than SATA I (150 Gb/s) but it still provided a performance boost.

Given that you are working with dated H/W I would slant the decision more toward durability as the last little bit of performance (which you will pay for) may not be realized.

On behalf of your dad - thanks!

Back